5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Ram 1500 Limited towing

Trooper4

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Camper with sway bar
Gross Dry Weight 5775 Lbs.
Hitch Dry Weight 785 Lbs.
Axle Weight 4990 Lbs.
Cargo Carrying Capacity 2225 Lbs.
GVWR 8000 Lbs.
Floor Length 22'6''
Overall Length 27'6''

The truck hasn’t struggled pulling the camper, it just feels like I lose control in the steering when I hit 58-60 (periodically)
Totally within specs for that truck. It's just the setup.

mtjag

Reaction score
So, I have a question about tire psi when loaded. I have the 285/45r22LX which call for 36psi cold and maximum 51psi). I'm close to capacity on cargo when towing our travel trailer which has a tongue weight of about 800 lbs (my particular truck has a cargo capacity of 1385 lbs). My question is two parts; 1) should I inflate my rear tires up to 51psi cold when towing and 2) once the tires are warm/hot this will exceed the 51psi and will that be an issue?

Bt10

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So, I have a question about tire psi when loaded. I have the 285/45r22LX which call for 36psi cold and maximum 51psi). I'm close to capacity on cargo when towing our travel trailer which has a tongue weight of about 800 lbs (my particular truck has a cargo capacity of 1385 lbs). My question is two parts; 1) should I inflate my rear tires up to 51psi cold when towing and 2) once the tires are warm/hot this will exceed the 51psi and will that be an issue?
The 1385lbs payload is at the 36psi. The truck may tow better with more, up to 51, with less sway, but will ride rougher as well. Cold psi tire markings take heat into consideration.

mtjag

Reaction score
The 1385lbs payload is at the 36psi. The truck may tow better with more, up to 51, with less sway, but will ride rougher as well. Cold psi tire markings take heat into consideration.
That's good to know. I don't have any sway due to the Andersen WDH. My wife is uncomfortable with the squat of the already low profile tires. So, if I bring the tires up to 51psi while towing, it won't be an issue when the tires get hot and the psi rises?

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
That's good to know. I don't have any sway due to the Andersen WDH. My wife is uncomfortable with the squat of the already low profile tires. So, if I bring the tires up to 51psi while towing, it won't be an issue when the tires get hot and the psi rises?
Have you checked your payload? You are probably way over.
You need to get your truck weighed with a full tank of gas, and include anyone inside the truck. The stick is what it was when it left the factory with nothing else.
My payload with my wife and kids on my Limited is 437lbs if I recall.

Tire pressure is not going to change your a squat, that's your suspension.
It will change how much of the tire is hitting the ground, under inflated will wear the outsides, and over inflated will wear the middle, toeing exaggerates this.

Users who are viewing this thread