5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 new body style Tonneau cover

jmac197

Reaction score
I have a 2023 1500 Bighorn with the new body style (6 lug wheels). I have been trying to find a tonneau cover that has the clamps updated to cinch to the top of the bed rail rather than the bed rail cover vertical

Has anyone found something that works? All the installation instructions say to NOT attach to the plastic bed rail cover and to only attach to the metal bed rail.

Thanks!

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I would think attaching it to the plastic bed rail cover is a good way to lose your tonneau cover since those are not attached that well to the top of the bed rail. But I've not seen any cover that attaches that way. And that's probably the reason why.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I don't see how you could even attach it to just the plastic bed rail cover without also attaching it to the metal lip beneath. But then again all the 5th gens we've owned have had the rambox beds, which have completely different bed rails. Maybe the OP is confusing the bed utility rails with the bed rails?

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It wouldn't last 1 mile at highway speeds attached to the plastic bed rail covers. The cover would fly off taking the plastic covers with it.

jmac197

Reaction score
Mikeru82

The truck does have the utility rails, but I mean the very top of the bed rail, where the tonneau would sit. every connection is as strong as it's weakest link, and the bed rail covers would be it. I wouldn't trust the plastic clips that hold the bed rails onto the bed...hence my question for the collective intelligence here.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Sure, but isn't there a steel lip beneath the plastic cover? This is what you would be clamping to, with the plastic sandwiched in between. The last truck I had without a rambox was a 2017 Rebel. It had plastic bed rail covers, but there was steel beneath them, which my tonneau cover rails clamped to. Are 5th gens different?

Jako

Reaction score
What tonneau cover do you have?
All the tonneau covers I have used have clamps that attach to the metal portion of the bed.
I have also been able to down load the instructions from the web sites.

jmac197

Reaction score
OK I feel like an idiot here. My bed is rhino-lined from the factory, and when I felt under the side of the bed rail, I felt what I thought was the plastic bed rail. In fact it was the metal bed rail with the rhino lining. In my defense the plastic bed rail extends beyond the edge of the metal bed rail so it wasn't readily apparent.

So what tonneaus attach as a clamp (pinch) to the vertical portion of the bed rail rather than just pressing upwards on the bed rail edge? More of a rhetorical question, because I can do the research, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'll listen.

Thanks for your input!

Darksteel165

Legendary member
Reaction score
OK I feel like an idiot here. My bed is rhino-lined from the factory, and when I felt under the side of the bed rail, I felt what I thought was the plastic bed rail. In fact it was the metal bed rail with the rhino lining. In my defense the plastic bed rail extends beyond the edge of the metal bed rail so it wasn't readily apparent.

So what tonneaus attach as a clamp (pinch) to the vertical portion of the bed rail rather than just pressing upwards on the bed rail edge? More of a rhetorical question, because I can do the research, but if anyone has any suggestions, I'll listen.

Thanks for your input!
The bed rail itself is also secured with screws, generally around 3 screws and 2 plastic push clips per side.
Even after removing the screws it's very hard to pull the rails off the 2 plastic push clips, and that's not even downwards pressure like a cover would be.

Any legitimate brand cover would be done, if they sucked you would see posts about it

vincentw56

Reaction score

Thanks for your input!
Every single one one them. Or at least all of them I've ever seen.

Jako

Reaction score
Here is some info from forum members.
Many options, recommend to figure your needs and price point.
Best wishes on your decision, keep us posted with your choices and perhaps forum members can give you the pros and cons.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Thanks for your input!
That's what I was saying in my last post. There's metal underneath the plastic covers. Don't feel bad, everyone makes mistakes. Kudos for having the cojones to admit it. (y)

You didn't mention what type of cover you're looking for. Soft tri-fold, Hard tri-fold, soft roll-up, hard roll-up, solid? I only have experience with soft roll-up and soft tri-fold covers. I really like the Truxedo lo-pro soft roll up cover. I had them on three different trucks. It uses clamps like you're looking for (non-rambox beds) and is easy to install and remove.

Users who are viewing this thread