5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2023 Laramie fender flare question

bmcpeak363

Reaction score
Just traded my 19 hard loaded Laramie for a 23 same packages less equipment MORE money. Really hate that he 23 does not have fender flares.
I think I saw that the fenders are different so that if I buy factory flares they will not fit?
Can anyone speak to this?

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
A 5th Gen 2019 to 2023 should have the same fenders. A "Classic" 1500 is different.

Yes, it's annoying that they are decontenting the trucks and yet jacking up prices.

Belvedere

Ram Guru
Reaction score
From what I've read, the fender sheet metal is all the same shape, but factory flares mount with holes in the sheet metal. So, no flares would likely mean you'd need aftermarket flares, but I've seen some nicer looking aftermarket flares anyway. Just something about the flat profile...

thirtydaZe

Reaction score
I was disappointed to see this too, hopefully we will be able to get some OEM options.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have a 23 Laramie ordered to trade-in my 21 Laramie and am feeling your pain. I am still planning to make the trade to upgrade to the advanced safety group and the 12" screen and upgraded stereo etc. but the changes are definitely frustrating. I am going from a 21 with Laramie Level 1, trailer brake controller, anti-spin to a 23 with Laramie Level B, Bed Utility group, advanced safety group, 12" cluster, trailer Brake controller rear wheelhouse liners and class IV hitch.

MSRP on the 23 is $13,705 higher than the 21 but I am gaining a fair amount of features.

After printing out build sheets I have determined the features no longer available are Fender flares, reclining rear seats, and 4-way lumbar (23 has 2-way lumbar) plus the hitch was an add-on and not standard.

I am gaining the 12" screen, Nav, adaptive cruise, 19 speaker HK radio, surround view camera, led hitch light, sirius xm and HD radio, parallel and perp park assist, and lane keep

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I have a 23 Laramie ordered to trade-in my 21 Laramie and am feeling your pain. I am still planning to make the trade to upgrade to the advanced safety group and the 12" screen and upgraded stereo etc. but the changes are definitely frustrating. I am going from a 21 with Laramie Level 1, trailer brake controller, anti-spin to a 23 with Laramie Level B, Bed Utility group, advanced safety group, 12" cluster, trailer Brake controller rear wheelhouse liners and class IV hitch.

MSRP on the 23 is $13,705 higher than the 21 but I am gaining a fair amount of features.

After printing out build sheets I have determined the features no longer available are Fender flares, reclining rear seats, and 4-way lumbar (23 has 2-way lumbar) plus the hitch was an add-on and not standard.

I am gaining the 12" screen, Nav, adaptive cruise, 19 speaker HK radio, surround view camera, led hitch light, sirius xm and HD radio, parallel and perp park assist, nav and lane keep
The prices on everything have skyrocketed with the Biden inflation, but you are getting some expensive upgrades. My 20, the 12" nav radio was $2,000, without the 19 speaker amplified system. The only car I had with adaptive cruise, was a 13 Charger, and it was over $1,500. The lane keep, and auto park, is worth at least a couple thousand. It is BS that they remove standard equipment, but due to the inflation, it's either that, or raise the price even more.

millerbjm

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The prices on everything have skyrocketed with the Biden inflation, but you are getting some expensive upgrades. My 20, the 12" nav radio was $2,000, without the 19 speaker amplified system. The only car I had with adaptive cruise, was a 13 Charger, and it was over $1,500. The lane keep, and auto park, is worth at least a couple thousand. It is BS that they remove standard equipment, but due to the inflation, it's either that, or raise the price even more.
I agree consumer prices are up on almost everything with low unemployment and Americans spending and saving at higher rates but the increase in the auto market in particular seems a bit crazier and unlike groceries I don't anticipate the automakers will reduce MSRP when the economy cools off like other prices may go down. I also agree the additional features in my new build add a lot to that increase based on how Ram values them but again this is pretty much a truck thing as even many of the 30k cars on the market today come standard with the same safety tech that adds significant cost to the Ram MSRP. My Pacifica for example came with adaptive cruise, 360 camera, parallel and perp park assist, ped emer brake, forward collision as do virtually all toyota, honda, subaru etc. In the end I get it - Ram is still selling trucks with high margins for Stellantis and even though I might complain I still right the check!

AnthonyRI

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I've had quite a few customers lament about this - mostly surrounding the fender flares, something I hadn't given much thought to.
The hitch is funny (sort of) because while it's separate listed item, I feel like half the builds I do end up requiring it when you select their other packages.

Should be very interesting to see what all brands do once interest rates drop and/or economy slows. Not as if they're going to slash prices (ala Tesla) but I would expect different incentive structures, and different product mix being pushed out on the lots to re-balance everything.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've had quite a few customers lament about this - mostly surrounding the fender flares, something I hadn't given much thought to.
The hitch is funny (sort of) because while it's separate listed item, I feel like half the builds I do end up requiring it when you select their other packages.

Should be very interesting to see what all brands do once interest rates drop and/or economy slows. Not as if they're going to slash prices (ala Tesla) but I would expect different incentive structures, and different product mix being pushed out on the lots to re-balance everything.

Yes, that should be interesting. MSRP on trucks is up several thousand, and by several I mean SEVERAL, as in seven thousand or more if equipped the same as a 2020 model. Just nuts. I was reading this morning, and most "professionals" in finance believe a recession is still coming and interest rates should level off late 2023 but not decrease until well into 2024. Soooo.... when it all hits the fan later this year and supply of trucks is much higher than demand, a guy would have to believe that rebates and incentives will become very sweet again.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The manufactures all just wanted a slice of the additional dealer markup pie that was so abundant in 22. It's amazing how similarly all truck makers at least raised their 23 MSRPs for either the same or less content. Now, if consumers do reduce spending, both manufacturers and dealers will loose.

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just traded my 19 hard loaded Laramie for a 23 same packages less equipment MORE money. Really hate that he 23 does not have fender flares.
I think I saw that the fenders are different so that if I buy factory flares they will not fit?
Can anyone speak to this?
I installed the Mopar OEM fender flares.

If you do not have the factory holes in the sheet metal of the quarter panels you have to modify the clips on the fender flares.

I had to remove the clips from the OEM fender tabs and put 3M tape on the tabs, after I honed it down and smoothed it off with a dremmel tool and with a sanding head.
Since I do not have the factory holes in my panels.

After installing the fender flares I had to put Trim-Lok Fender Flare Edge Trim to fill in the gaps around the edge of the flares where they meet the quarter panel.

RAM_St-Simon.png

bmcpeak363

Reaction score
I installed the Mopar OEM fender flares.

If you do not have the factory holes in the sheet metal of the quarter panels you have to modify the clips on the fender flares.

I had to remove the clips from the OEM fender tabs and put 3M tape on the tabs, after I honed it down and smoothed it off with a dremmel tool and with a sanding head.
Since I do not have the factory holes in my panels.

After installing the fender flares I had to put Trim-Lok Fender Flare Edge Trim to fill in the gaps around the edge of the flares where they meet the quarter panel.

View attachment 157427

RAM Patriot Thanks for your reply! An interesting solution. I was talking to a friend that works at a body shop and he was telling me that the fenders had to have the holes for the tabs. and then I would like them painted which would bring the price to around $1400. I think I will have to get used to it. Having buyers remorse.​

RAM Patriot

Ram Guru
Reaction score

RAM Patriot Thanks for your reply! An interesting solution. I was talking to a friend that works at a body shop and he was telling me that the fenders had to have the holes for the tabs. and then I would like them painted which would bring the price to around $1400. I think I will have to get used to it. Having buyers remorse.​

Your buddy is correct, this was a major pain in the a** without the holes for the tabs. It would be easier to go aftermarket.

I preferred the smooth look of the factory fender flares so I made them work. :cool:

bmcpeak363

Reaction score
Your buddy is correct, this was a major pain in the a** without the holes for the tabs. It would be easier to go aftermarket.

I preferred the smooth look of the factory fender flares so I made them work. :cool:
I too like the factory flares. Also to upgrade to higher packages cost $$$. Without the flares kind of looks like a tradesman with chrome bumpers>
By the way your truck looks great!

Last edited:

Dschmid37

Reaction score

When I ordered my Ram last September, I was expecting a 22' model year. Then I found out that I was too late, and my ordered truck would be a 2023. During the long wait for it (5 months) I found out it would not come with heated rear seats or fender flares. The lack flares upset me the most. "HOW CAN THEY SELL A 4x4 WITHOUT FENDER FLARES?!?!" Long story short..... I don't miss them at all. I had some nice aftermarket ones in my "shopping cart" and never ordered them and don't plan to. Don't sweat the small stuff. You'll love the truck!

Last edited:

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I agree consumer prices are up on almost everything with low unemployment and Americans spending and saving at higher rates but the increase in the auto market in particular seems a bit crazier and unlike groceries I don't anticipate the automakers will reduce MSRP when the economy cools off like other prices may go down. I also agree the additional features in my new build add a lot to that increase based on how Ram values them but again this is pretty much a truck thing as even many of the 30k cars on the market today come standard with the same safety tech that adds significant cost to the Ram MSRP. My Pacifica for example came with adaptive cruise, 360 camera, parallel and perp park assist, ped emer brake, forward collision as do virtually all toyota, honda, subaru etc. In the end I get it - Ram is still selling trucks with high margins for Stellantis and even though I might complain I still right the check!
Trucks have gone up LESS than everything else. As WXman stated, they have gone up about $7,000. That is about 10%. Inflation is up almost 30%. They give the numbers as 10%, but that is the number from exactly one year earlier, which was also up from the year before that. I was buying eggs for $.69 a dozen before Joe Biden's inflation, now they are $4.00 a dozen.

CalvinC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It's not just that the flares are gone... that alone is not the end of the world, I agree.
Its the principle that you now get less but pay more in 23 (not a Ram-exclusive issue, but nevertheless). Had this issue with Toyota over the years... I'm not a snob, I can live with less, just charge me less for it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/

Members online