5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Rebel stereo not reading WMA files while using USB 1

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Got a 2022 Rebel, I have a ton of music I burnt myself from my own CD collection on my computer. Some are MP3’s & some are WMA files & I put them on a thumb drive & listen to it using USB 1 in my truck. The system doesn’t recognize any WMA files, only MP3’s. Just curious if there is anything I can do different to make it recognize the WMA files? A little aggravating, my brother has a $25,000 Mazda suv that recognizes all forms of files (I used the exact same thumb drive from my truck), yet my $60,000 doesn’t. 😂

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I know it works with MP3 and FLAC files. Uconnect says it should also read WMA and WAV files but I have never tested them.

If you are not reading any music files on a particular thumb drive the problem may be how the thumb drive was formatted. For many larger thumb drives the default format is exFAT, but Uconnect will not read thumb drives formatted with exFAT even though my Chevy would. You will need to format the drive in FAT32 or NTFS format.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
I know it works with MP3 and FLAC files. Uconnect says it should also read WMA and WAV files but I have never tested them.

If you are not reading any music files on a particular thumb drive the problem may be how the thumb drive was formatted. For many larger thumb drives the default format is exFAT, but Uconnect will not read thumb drives formatted with exFAT even though my Chevy would. You will need to format the drive in FAT32 or NTFS format.
I will definitely look into this, thank you brother. 😃

Dan Houle

Reaction score

I tried formatting the drive in FAT32 & NTFS format, still not working. Weird how some devices it doesn’t matter (have a cheap blue tooth that does the same thing). Appreciate the input, gonna mess with it a little more.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
I tried formatting the drive in FAT32 & NTFS format, still not working. Weird how some devices it doesn’t matter (have a cheap blue tooth that does the same thing). Appreciate the input, gonna mess with it a little more.
Yep, i have a FAT32 30GB Usb that doesnt work in this new Ram also. Did you figure out what was wrong Dan ?

Last edited:

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Correction: Mine wont read wma files either. This usb stick works in everything else i have, but not my new Ram !
In retrospect, this stick with wma files would not work in my '14 Ram either.
I had to convert everything to MP3 and now she works !
When googling this wma/Ram thing, it seems this has been an issue for a long time !
The manual should state what files can be read, and which cannot !!

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Yep, i have a FAT32 30GB Usb that doesnt work in this new Ram also. Did you figure out what was wrong Dan ?
No, I just think it doesn’t read WMA files. I had a Galaxy S9 that read WMA files. Just got a Galaxy S23 Ultra, it doesn’t. So I think my only 2 options are to use a program like Media Monkey to go from WMA to MP3 (which you lose alot of sound quality) or just re rip them. I am probably gonna just re rip them.

Dan Houle

Reaction score
Correction: Mine wont read wma files either. This usb stick works in everything else i have, but not my new Ram !
In retrospect, this stick with wma files would not work in my '14 Ram either.
I had to convert everything to MP3 and now she works !
When googling this wma/Ram thing, it seems this has been an issue for a long time !
The manual should state what files can be read, and which cannot !!
It’s not just a RAM issue, had a Galaxy S9 that read the WMA, got a G S23 Ultra & it does not. I also have a Bluetooth boom box that will read MP3’s, but not WMA.

Users who are viewing this thread