5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 RAM 1500 EcoDiesel Limited making creaking noises after towing ~7k trailer 1,200-2,800mi

Reaction score
I’m hoping someone may have some insight while I wait for an at appointment at my home dealer.

2022 EcoDiesel 1500 Limited 4x4

I towed a ~7k travel trailer 1,200mi at 50-60mph speeds only, from Seattle to Palm Springs with a ProPride (Hensley) sway elimination hitch. Because it is a Limited, I’m skirting vehicle weight limits on the rear axle and GVWR especially when DEF and 33 gallon fuel tank are full, but if I’m exceeding, it’s only very slightly (1-5%), and only when the tank is full. The truck handled very well and we drive slow and conservatively—no complaints. Only the drive axle would have been slightly and temporarily over loaded—if at all—and never the steer axle.

When I got to Palm Springs and unhitched to go about town, I immediately began to notice a creaking noise when rolling to a stop or softly braking to a stop. It sounds like the frame, axle, hub, or other major suspension/chassis component, NOT brakes. The vehicle had 20,000 miles and this only began happening after our first huge towing trip.

I took the truck to a terrible-service dealer in Cathedral City who brushed the noise off as “desert dust,” and said nothing was wrong that they found, with plenty of wear left (50-75% or better) on the brakes and rotors, but after towing the trailer back home to Seattle a month later, the noise became worse and louder when rolling to a stop or braking to a stop. It definitely isn’t brakes.

I have an appointment for my home Seattle dealer to look at the vehicle soon, but I’m wondering if anyone has any thoughts about things that might make such a noise?

We plan to upgrade to a 3500 whenever they eventually get around the refreshing it to a true 5th Gen cabin and/or 8+ speed transmission, so that we never have to worry about GVWR and axle weights again. But for this first trip we pushed the weight envelope a bit and now I’m wondering if maybe something is damaged, loose, or worn. Or maybe just needs tightened or lubricated. The metallic creaking / crunching noise seems to arise from the center of the vehicle toward the front passenger and driver, NOT the rear axle. Possibly front steer axle area or an attachment point between a major component such as cab and chassis or other significant linkage. I would think and hope that these vehicles have a substantial safety margin of error built-in to them so that they tolerate customers skirting the weight limits slightly once in a while.

Grateful for any advice as I’m not a mechanic.

Attachments

• IMG_7310.jpeg
    IMG_7310.jpeg
    111.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_6218.jpeg
    IMG_6218.jpeg
    238.8 KB · Views: 17

Users who are viewing this thread