5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 First Oil Change

Idahoktm

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Interesting how guys still assume that auto manufacturers want your engine to last forever. If only it worked that way....

In reality they want to make it to end of warranty, and they want to save as much $$$ as they can on EPA CAFE scores. So, they spec these watery 0W20 oils that meet those goals. Meanwhile, the consumer doesn't give a rip about saving 0.004 MPG on an EPA test loop. What we want is a longer lasting and healthier engine and so 5W30 would be better suited.

"But the engineers tested the spec'd oil!" Yes, yes they did...they tested it to make sure it met the financial needs of the auto maker, not the financial needs of the person who still has the truck beyond warranty.

Do you have any proof to back up your claim? I always get a kick out of anyone that refers to 0w20 as a watery oil.

monza2t

Reaction score
Interesting how guys still assume that auto manufacturers want your engine to last forever. If only it worked that way....

The flip side is they don't want the engine to last to just 80k miles either, because how many of us would buy a truck where the engine is known on the majority of them to be toast at 80k? There is a balance in there. They are balancing their pocket book and their reputation.

Last edited:

Aseras

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Viscosity goes by temperature. So if you run hot constantly, you need/should to increase viscosity. The lower viscosity oils are soley for MPG, until they brick engines, and then FCA increases the viscosity requirements. Just be sure if you go into lower temperature startup temps that you switch to a lower viscosity oil or you risk damage until the engine is up to temp.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
I actually think it's just to simplify the fluids catalog and use the same oil for their most common engines. The Pentastar (and their 4 cylinder engines in the small Jeep crossovers if I'm not mistaken) has been using 0w-20 for years, and there's no reason all the '21 and older 5.7's can't use it.
This is not completely true my wifes 2014 Jeep GC with the Pentastar uses 5W-20

Idahoktm

Reaction score
This is not completely true my wifes 2014 Jeep GC with the Pentastar uses 5W-20

He said years and he's right. 0w20 wasn't introduced until about 2010. Manufacturers started recommending it around 2013. Just because Jeep didn't recommend it until after 2014, doesn't make his statement any less accurate.

2020GraniteBH

Reaction score
He said years and he's right. 0w20 wasn't introduced until about 2010. Manufacturers started recommending it around 2013. Just because Jeep didn't recommend it until after 2014, doesn't make his statement any less accurate.
OK karen chill the **** out and go change your tampon.

WXman

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So.... which oil filter wrench have you guys found works best? What do I need to buy before I do mine for the first time?

Idahoktm

Reaction score
So.... which oil filter wrench have you guys found works best? What do I need to buy before I do mine for the first time?

I bought this wrench. It works very well, especially if the oil filter gorilla installed your filter at the factory. I can't remember where I bought it, but it wasn't Amazon.

Edit: I did a search and couldn't find it sold individually. I found a similar wrench on Amazon.

Last edited:

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread