5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 Eco Diesel voltage?

Reaction score
I received an alert on my the Ram app for my 2022 1500 with the ecodiesel advising charging system failure. Odd thing was I wasn't alerted when I was driving but about an hour later after I had parked the truck. I went and started the truck and it's reads 12.8v which seems low to me but no dash lights or warnings popped up. I tested the battery and reads the same and tested the positive cable from the alternator. Anyone have an idea if I'll be ok because most likely my dealer won't have a loaner for me next week and I can't be without my truck while they diagnosis this possible issue. Truck only has 10k miles and is only 7 months old.

Mr. Grumpy

Reaction score
I received an alert on my the Ram app for my 2022 1500 with the ecodiesel advising charging system failure. Odd thing was I wasn't alerted when I was driving but about an hour later after I had parked the truck. I went and started the truck and it's reads 12.8v which seems low to me but no dash lights or warnings popped up. I tested the battery and reads the same and tested the positive cable from the alternator. Anyone have an idea if I'll be ok because most likely my dealer won't have a loaner for me next week and I can't be without my truck while they diagnosis this possible issue. Truck only has 10k miles and is only 7 months old.
I received the same message around 2:00 pm today.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
The voltage varies depending on a few conditions. I attached a little information. I know there are issues with false notifications on the app, I have recieved a few and have never had a problem.

Attachments

• Service Library(2).PDF
    653 KB · Views: 52

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
So I've had my Ecodiesel for 35k miles now and under normal conditions I've seen as high as 14.5 volts and as low as 12.8 volts while driving and the truck hasn't skipped a beat. To my understanding most modern vehicles will regulate the voltage based on many factors, amperage draw, voltage, accessories running or not, engine RPM: etc... If it were running at 12.8 all the time with a light load, maybe just the radio or the a/c fan on I'd be worried. If the voltage drops that low just because you have your headlights on, then that's a problem. However if it goes up while driving in normal traffic then I don't think there's anything wrong with your rig. Just some computers doing what they think is best for your battery and electronics.

I'm not an automotive mechanic so please correct me if I'm wrong. I know there are others on this forum with more knowledge than myself on this topic.

PMccoy1

Reaction score
I have a 22 eco with 11k. I was getting an email alert for “powertrain - charging system” every day for two weeks while I waited for an opening at the dealer The battery bounced around from 12.5 to 14.5, but I didn’t get any dash lights, just an occasional alert on the radio. Autozone said the battery was fine and could not diagnose further. 1st to dealer they didn’t see anything when plugged in, second trip they said my alternator was bad. I told him I have kids and asked if there was a serious risk to our safety - he said no, but I could get stranded if it completely failed. It was covered under my warranty.

Wilsonwanderings

Reaction score
I have only seen a charging system message once and it turned out my negative battery cable had come loose on the terminal. Just throwing it out there as something to check. As others have said, the 12.5-14.8V range is totally normal for these trucks (frustrating when I'm trying to DCDC charge my trailer).

SlowRoller

Reaction score
Battery messages are common on Gen 3 Ecodiesels--50% in a rough poll, although the real # is probably lower. What is odd is that some get it through the app, some by email, and most, I think, get the warning on the head unit. I get it every time I turn the engine on and off, but I've had no starting problems. There is a Star case saying they are trying to figure out how to fix it.

I came to this forum to find out if gassers are getting the same types of messages. I would think it's not related to the motor.

rrutkf80

Reaction score
I have been getting these alerts several times a week for some time. Alternatively they clear and there are no alerts. After reading the pdf that CBTY 2050 posted a lot was cleared up on how the Smart Alternator is controlled and it is counter intuitive to what we experienced with old style alternators and their voltage regualtors. It seems like the threshold used for triggering the alert is too sensitive and I feel a lot better about ignoring the warnings since most of the time its clear of codes and everything seems to function normally

Mattiusmaximus1216

Reaction score
I have a 21 rebel and my dash is lit up like a Xmas tree with reverse trailer steering unavailable, electronic stabilizing unavailable, trailer brake unavailable, 4wd service. Battery running is 14.1v. Resting is 12.3v.

26k original battery? Time to replace?

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I have a 21 rebel and my dash is lit up like a Xmas tree with reverse trailer steering unavailable, electronic stabilizing unavailable, trailer brake unavailable, 4wd service. Battery running is 14.1v. Resting is 12.3v.

26k original battery? Time to replace?
Sounds a bit early for a battery to be dead, but I’d get it load tested, it could be low. Most chain auto parts stores will test it for free. Low batteries can cause havoc with all the computers and electronic sensors on modern vehicles.

70runner

Reaction score
Static charge seems marginal. As noted above get the battery load tested. Multiple simultaneous error alerts more often than not suggest a marginal battery condition.

Users who are viewing this thread