5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2022 1500 Laramie hard shifting - especially when cold

The Mandolorian

Reaction score
Hey all - new Ram owner here and new to these forums. Pretty much from day one I noticed that when creeping along in 1st gear, when the RPMs are just about to the point where it should shift to 2nd, without pressing the pedal, the transmission will shift hard to 2nd. At other times, when decelerating, the transmission will downshift hard and the truck will lurch forward - again at slow speeds. Once the truck is warm, it appear to be less of an issue. I thought it might be a break in sort of thing but it hasn't gone away at 2500 miles. I've seen that this has been an issue in previous model years and I want to be armed with the best info before taking it in to the dealer. I can't find any recent TSB's for this issue. Any insight from all the RAM pros out there is greatly appreciated.

Bpebler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
It sounds almost like how it normally behaves if it’s cold, in Tow/Haul mode, & has 3.92 gears. Any of those? Also what year, engine, etc.

QuasarZ

Reaction score
A
Hey all - new Ram owner here and new to these forums. Pretty much from day one I noticed that when creeping along in 1st gear, when the RPMs are just about to the point where it should shift to 2nd, without pressing the pedal, the transmission will shift hard to 2nd. At other times, when decelerating, the transmission will downshift hard and the truck will lurch forward - again at slow speeds. Once the truck is warm, it appear to be less of an issue. I thought it might be a break in sort of thing but it hasn't gone away at 2500 miles. I've seen that this has been an issue in previous model years and I want to be armed with the best info before taking it in to the dealer. I can't find any recent TSB's for this issue. Any insight from all the RAM pros out there is greatly appreciated.
Any resolution? Mine is doing this.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You guys need more info in your signatures. At least year, if 2 or 4 wheel drive, model, engine size, gear ratio doesn't hurt. These things help on many subjects.

Ramrod2285

Reaction score
My 2022 1500 Laramie 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 gear ratio behaves the exact same way, from the moment I drove it off the lot. Driving in low gears, stop and go traffic, or approaching stop signs is when it's most prevalent. Almost like it gets stuck before aggressively downshifting, causing an abrupt lurch like being lightly rear ended. Sounds like it's a common thing, just described a bit differently on this forum. Would love to know if its just a common thing with these transmissions, or if there is some fix.

23RAM

Reaction score
My 2022 1500 Laramie 4x4 with 5.7 Hemi and 3.92 gear ratio behaves the exact same way, from the moment I drove it off the lot. Driving in low gears, stop and go traffic, or approaching stop signs is when it's most prevalent. Almost like it gets stuck before aggressively downshifting, causing an abrupt lurch like being lightly rear ended. Sounds like it's a common thing, just described a bit differently on this forum. Would love to know if its just a common thing with these transmissions, or if there is some fix.
Sounds normal to me.
Every vehicle I have owned does something similar when cold - it's due to cold engine high idle. Warm up the vehicle more when it's cold outside and you shouldn't experience it. In summer weather, I don't warm up much, so I notice it until the idle comes down a few minutes later. In winter I don't notice it as the vehicle usually has had time to warm up and idle down before I drive off.

Ramrod2285

Reaction score
Sounds normal to me.
Every vehicle I have owned does something similar when cold - it's due to cold engine high idle. Warm up the vehicle more when it's cold outside and you shouldn't experience it. In summer weather, I don't warm up much, so I notice it until the idle comes down a few minutes later. In winter I don't notice it as the vehicle usually has had time to warm up and idle down before I drive off.
I live in South Texas and it's summer, happens pretty much every day that I drive it. It hasn't been "cold" or even "cool" for that matter a single day this summer. Ive owned a few vehicles and have never had a single one do what this one does, it literally lurches forward at times when slowing down in the lower gears.

23RAM

Reaction score
I live in South Texas and it's summer, happens pretty much every day that I drive it. It hasn't been "cold" or even "cool" for that matter a single day this summer. Ive owned a few vehicles and have never had a single one do what this one does, it literally lurches forward at times when slowing down in the lower gears.
I get what you're saying, however, cold to you and I is not the same to an engine that normally operates above 200'F.

It can be 100'F outside, but the engine is still "cold" and will high idle for a couple minutes or so until it reaches normal operating temps. The transmission also needs to warm up. During this time, you will experience surges and transmission changes that do not meet "normal" conditions. As an example, up here in Canaduh today it was 78'F when I had to make a pickup, warm and humid outside, but it took my truck several minutes to "settle down". I find the tranny is very "stout" and "aggressive" in managing gears, and can sometimes surge or lurch forward when it downshifts. Again, after driving many V8 vehicles with strong torque at low revs over the years, I think this is normal when the engine and tranny are "cold". Once warmed up, it runs smooth as butter.

Having said that, if your engine and tranny are fully up to normal operating temps, and it still behaves odd, you should contact your dealer to show them the issue and have them diagnose the cause. Then also let us know, please, as it may lead to technical issues.

Users who are viewing this thread