5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 w/ Alpine stereo - switch dash speakers, or no?

Brunzca

Reaction score
Hi all. I’ve been diving into all the stereo threads today, and reading so much info, it’s starting to make my head spin. Just when I thought I was going to get the 8ohm speakers to switch mine out, I read that the Alpine system has a dedicated channel, so they are only 2ohms. So, kept reading, thought I made a decision again, then found another thread, where a poster said they got almost no change in their ‘21 with the Alpine system from replacing the dash speakers with Infinity’s, and a couple others agreed.

So.. can anyone else weigh in? Is it even worth switching the 3 dash speakers out on a ‘21 Big Horn with the Alpine system? I’ve searched a few times, and couldn’t find much specific on ‘21s in all the stereo threads (maybe user error, though)

thanks!

Hi all. I’ve been diving into all the stereo threads today, and reading so much info, it’s starting to make my head spin. Just when I thought I was going to get the 8ohm speakers to switch mine out, I read that the Alpine system has a dedicated channel, so they are only 2ohms. So, kept reading, thought I made a decision again, then found another thread, where a poster said they got almost no change in their ‘21 with the Alpine system from replacing the dash speakers with Infinity’s, and a couple others agreed.

So.. can anyone else weigh in? Is it even worth switching the 3 dash speakers out on a ‘21 Big Horn with the Alpine system? I’ve searched a few times, and couldn’t find much specific on ‘21s in all the stereo threads (maybe user error, though)

thanks!
Totally worth it.
I replaced mine with Infinity 3032s. Night and day improvement for not a whole lot of expense.

Totally worth it.
I replaced mine with Infinity 3032s. Night and day improvement for not a whole lot of expense.
Thanks!

Those are the same speakers used in the other thread, that supposedly made no improvement. (And one of the options I was considering). I’m not sure how to embed links here, but posting it here anyway. Edit - it worked..

I wouldn't bother replacing the factory speakers unless you are planing on using an aftermarket amplifier, the OEM are very efficient speakers and even the 6x9 in the doors have really good bass.

I wouldn't bother replacing the factory speakers unless you are planing on using an aftermarket amplifier, the OEM are very efficient speakers and even the 6x9 in the doors have really good bass.
Those of us who bothered to replace them beg to differ. Factory speakers are junk.

Those of us who bothered to replace them beg to differ. Factory speakers are junk.
Agreed! I replaced all three dash and four door speakers with JBL's. Night and day compared to the cheap "Made In China" paper cone dash speakers. No stamp even that says "Alpine". The doors do have a better speaker but still junk when compared to a good coaxial or 3-way 6x9. Swap them, you'll thank us later! If you decide to go with a different amp later, you already have the speakers. Super easy to swap the dash, doors take a little more effort but still can be done in minutes.

I also swapped out the 3 dash with Infinity 3022cfx. Much improved all around sound.

I also had the infinity swapped into my alpine system in my truck at first, dash and doors. But after a while I wasn’t satisfied with them on the factory amp. So I amplified them with aftermarket amplifiers but they could not handle their rated power. I would advise that if you plan to use aftermarket amplifiers in the future, don’t waste your money on the infinitys.

One of the posts here show that the '21s have different Alpine speakers than the '19-'20 Alpine speakers.

One of the posts here show that the '21s have different Alpine speakers than the '19-'20 Alpine speakers.
I replaced the 3 fronts with Infinity Reference 3032CFX. They are much better sounding to me. They are much more crisp sounding. I like bright sounding symbols. The stock ones were dull.

I have a '21. I replaced the front 6x9's with the infinity 9630C. I only used the driver. These are close to a direct drop in replacement, but i had to enlarge the mounting holes to use the factory mounting hardware. From a sound improvement standpoint, it did improve but it was by no means night and day like people mention. This speaker's cutoff frequency at the amp relegates it to midbass duty, and it is better, but don't come into it expecting a massive difference. Still worth it IMO for a hundred bucks though.

I then replaced the the center, left, and right 3-1/2" with the REF-3032CFX. These required very minimal trimming of the speaker flange to mount directly, still very easy though. These were better then the stock speakers. Again, not a groundbreaking, angels-coming-down-from-heaven, let me tell my neighbor because its so good, improvement, but still better. Mostly slightly better timbre, clearer highs without being shrill. These were also about a hundred for 2 sets.

Again, don't come into this expecting a massive difference if you have a the alpine stereo. No, the speakers arent "Alpine" brand, but who gives a ****. Its all marketing when it comes to stock amplified systems. The stock is quite good. Looking back, id probably leave it stock since I don't think the difference is all that noticeable. Its better, but if I could go back I'd probably just leave it and spend the 200+ elsewhere.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back