5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 UConnect 4 12" display goes dim when headlights are on

Nova90

Reaction score
The issue started happening in the last week. In the settings, I have the display set for Manual and on 10 for both options (when headlights are on and when headlights are off). I like the bright display. I usually keep the headlights on the Auto setting. The other day, during the daylight, I drove under an underpass. The sensor in the dash picked up the change in lighting and flipped on my headlights....at the same time, the display on the radio unit and the dash went almost completely dark making it very difficult to see it. After investigation, now whenever the headlights are either set to "On" or when set to "Auto" at night and the headlights come on...the dash and display go dim and are hard to see. The only way to correct it is to dial the dimmer switch all the way up. It seems like if the headlights are engaged, it is now automatically dimming the dash and display to a very low level...any ideas?

janno_napster

Reaction score
i have the same issue on my 2022 rebel, i believe its an programming issue...it is very unsafe when it goes underpass during day time as we cannot see anything on the dashboard.

Nova90

Reaction score
i have the same issue on my 2022 rebel, i believe its an programming issue...it is very unsafe when it goes underpass during day time as we cannot see anything on the dashboard.
Exactly, everything goes dark when in the underpass or tunnel. I got mine last June and it just started doing this in the past week or 2. If you slide the dimmer up past the stop, they will always stay on...only workaround I can find.

tgram

Reaction score
I have the same issue on my 2022 Limited with Uconnect 5 and 12" display.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
same here...I also need to adjust the dimmer switch each time. when it is getting dark in the evening I switch it so it dims, during the day switching it back so it doesn't dim for underpasses.

Never had this issue in any other car. In all cars I never had to adjust that dimmer switch. Also I sometimes was able to adjust the sensivity of the light sensor. I notice with Ram that it is very sensitive, half a second through an underpass and headlights switch on...

HMC8403

Reaction score
That is normal and a safety feature. During the day the map has a white background which could interfere with night vision when dark out, so when the lights go on the map switches to a black background.

Rlaf75

Takes potshots
Reaction score
I believe the dash lights dim when the lights are on to prevent glare while driving at night. Obviously when you drive under and underpass the truck thinks it's dark out so the lights come on and dims the dash. If you're on the road and pass under a bridge it's only for a few seconds anyway so I wouldn't imagine it being that big of a deal. After all your eyes should be on the road and you only glance at the dash from time to time. You aren't staring at it

Reverse

Reaction score
I override this with the dimmer switch next to the headlight switch. Mine's a 2020 though. Are 2022 models different?

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
I override this with the dimmer switch next to the headlight switch. Mine's a 2020 though. Are 2022 models different?
I have a 2022 model and have to manually switch the dimmer each time. When I drive under a bridge, the screen goes dark, and when it realizes that "the darkness" of that 1 second you are under de bridge, we are 1 minute later.
The light sensor is way to sensitive. When it is a little dark, the lights go on, but the other way around, the lights stay on too long.

ItsTylor

Reaction score
Just to verify have any of you gone i to the settings and switched from auto to manual mode on display dimming and turned it off? The setting describes your problem.

Liquid Li0n

Reaction score
Just to verify have any of you gone i to the settings and switched from auto to manual mode on display dimming and turned it off? The setting describes your problem.
but what about when it is dark and you enter your truck? Then you have to adjust it each time before you leave.
It is the same when you turn the car in reverse and camera screen goes active. It is full brightness.

scottmoyer

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm surprised nobody has commented on it during the day, while driving in the rain. I agree with the above comment that going thru the tunnel is brief and you're probably watching the road, so this is a minimal inconvenience, but what about daytime driving, in a rain shower, with headlights on (law in Florida when wipers are on). The dash dims as if it was night, but it could be early afternoon. Then the dash/cluster is unreadable and IS a safety concern.

Every vehicle I've driven that incorporates twilight sentinel, does so in a way that the dash light sensor knows it's daytime and just because lights are on doesn't dim the dash. RAM needs to fix this and also allow for a wider range of dash brightness settings on the dial as it currently goes from 0-50% or 100% when you go past the dial lock.

St-na

Reaction score
It's still a problem, I never had same troubles on my '14 Ram, My wife's Kia also passing under the bridges without dimming screen.

StuartV

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I had the same issue on my '19 and I have it on my '21.

It is annoying as heck. There are way too many times when my headlights are on (raining, but bright sunlight out, for example), but there is so much ambient light that I cannot see my multimedia screen or instruments.

St-na

Reaction score
I had the same issue on my '19 and I have it on my '21.

It is annoying as heck. There are way too many times when my headlights are on (raining, but bright sunlight out, for example), but there is so much ambient light that I cannot see my multimedia screen or instruments.
Just go manual, it's better without doubts. I made a setting for the "headlights on" 4, it's good enough to see the screen.

Users who are viewing this thread