5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 ram has foul smell from vents. Maybe clogged drain. Where exactly is the drain? Is this it?

cerbo

Reaction score
Look at cabin filter and make sure cowel drains (under wiper area) are not blocked up. After a drive with the AC ON that outside drain should show evidence of dripping.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, that is the drain for the evaporator. The firewall insulation looks wet in that pic so it appears that condensate has recently drained out of it. If it was plugged it would be dry. But it's easy enough to do as @cerbo suggested and go on a drive with the AC running on high, then see if anything drains out a few minutes after shutting the engine off. The length of the drive depends on your local temp and humidity.

chicog78

Reaction score
Yes, that is the drain for the evaporator. The firewall insulation looks wet in that pic so it appears that condensate has recently drained out of it. If it was plugged it would be dry. But it's easy enough to do as @cerbo suggested and go on a drive with the AC running on high, then see if anything drains out a few minutes after shutting the engine off. The length of the drive depends on your local temp and humidity.
Thanks. In the pic that isn't condensation on the drain it's actually where wiped dirt off of it. I took a long drive but still no drainage.

cerbo

Reaction score
Thanks. In the pic that isn't condensation on the drain it's actually where wiped dirt off of it. I took a long drive but still no drainage.
as stated, local temp/ humidity will alter the water you see. I don t see that it is clogged. The clog is usually spider webs as most car drains come out under the car and closer to the ground. Check everything else first and see what you find.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wasn't talking about on the actual drain. But the black firewall insulation around the drain. It looks darker in the area under the drain (area highlighted in yellow in attached pic), as if it's wet. It could just be that it's cleaner though. Hard to tell from a picture.

1717172736711.png

Users who are viewing this thread