5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram Box

AN6849

Reaction score
I picked up my special order 1500 on 6/17, took it back on 6/20 because the drivers side ram box tension rod popped off. Picked it up on 6/23. Took it back on 6/25 because the driver and passenger side box tension rods popped out. Picked it up on 6/25. Need to take it back because the drivers side popped out again. The drivers side box door doesn’t sit flush with the side of the truck. One touch windows need repaired, they only one touch down. Service says well, you don’t really need those rods and the we can’t fix the door, you may need to take it to a body shop. Frustrating. Meeting with the service guy again next week. Anyone else having an issue with the tension rods that support the ram box doors?

Last edited:

Fatherof3

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I picked up my special order 1500 on 6/17, took it back on 6/20 because the drivers side ram box tension rod popped off. Picked it up on 6/23. Took it back on 6/25 because the driver and passenger side box tension rods popped out. Picked it up on 6/25. Need to take it back because the drivers side popped out again. The drivers side box door doesn’t sit flush with the side of the truck. One touch windows need repaired, they only one touch down. Service says well, you don’t really need those rods and the we can’t fix the door, you may need to take it to a body shop. Frustrating. Meeting with the service guy again next week. Anyone else having an issue with the tension rods that support the ram box doors?
Welcome to the forum . I don't have the Ram boxes but the windows try and do the reset yourself . With the windows up push the switch down and hold it until the window goes all the way down and pull the switch up and hold it until the window goes all the way back up . See if that works for the windows .

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Welcome to the forum . I don't have the Ram boxes but the windows try and do the reset yourself . With the windows up push the switch down and hold it until the window goes all the way down and pull the switch up and hold it until the window goes all the way back up . See if that works for the windows .
Haha maybe this works, and I hope it does, but it really just sounded like a “have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?”

AN6849

Reaction score
Unfortunately that didn’t work but thanks for the suggestion. And now another issue, USB on both ports says device not compatible, been working fine until today. Same message on S8, S9, IPhone 10. Changed out cables. Service is going to have their hands full.

AN6849

Reaction score
Haha maybe this works, and I hope it does, but it really just sounded like a “have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in
Haha maybe this works, and I hope it does, but it really just sounded like a “have you tried unplugging it and plugging it back in?”
I see you have Ramboxes on all 2021 as well, Any issue with the tension rods? I came across a guy at Lowe’s that said no and asked what they are, he popped his box and 1 of his tension rods on both sides had popped out too, he just didn’t realize it since the doors still function.

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I see you have Ramboxes on all 2021 as well, Any issue with the tension rods? I came across a guy at Lowe’s that said no and asked what they are, he popped his box and 1 of his tension rods on both sides had popped out too, he just didn’t realize it since the doors still function.
I will need to go check mine. I’ve opened them a few times and no issue but I haven’t been inspecting yet (lots to go over)

Essbaum

Reaction score
2021 Laramie with rambox and mft here. No issues with the doors. Actually, knock on wood, no issues at all, but I bought used so maybe the PO took care of them all :)

brewdad

Reaction score
If a dealer's service department needs to send a vehicle to an outside repair facility such as a body shop for ram box repair, the vehicle warranty will cover those repairs; this is called a warranty sublet repair; the dealer is paid 0.3 of an hour labor for their time, even though they did not do the repair inhouse.

go-ram

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had my 2020 Laramie for 18 months, it has not been to the dealer since I drove it off the lot. Zero problems. My Ram Box lids are slightly warped, not too bad, and they function perfectly otherwise. Best of luck getting all of your items fixed, it sounds like maybe you have a weak service department there.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
I'll have to check my tension rods, but I haven't noticed any issues with the lids. They are actually pretty easy to adjust for some of the fitment issues. I bought the special tool that was listed in the TSB for the rambox lid fitment issue. It allows for making adjustments to the striker. I also found that enlarging the screw holes for the lid garnish (actual painted part of the lid), along with adjusting the rubber bumpers lets me adjust the cover so it fits flush with the bed side.

RamBamRepeat

Reaction score
Both my Ram boxes fell apart in a variety of ways, they were fixed, fell apart again in about a month. This from gently opening and closing them as I knew they seemed shaky from the start.

Both Ram boxes were then entirely replaced. it's not just the front face and not just the box, it's the entire box that comes with the front face. A front face that a body shop has to paint. All under warranty.

I get the truck back, opened them maybe two times and they started falling apart again. The truck was already going back under lemon law at this point as I couldn't put fuel in it without sticking to the pump for up to a half hour each time, always wondering if this would be the time it finally would not release. So, I figured I'd just leave them all side ways with the hinges not working right, bolts falling out etc.

On turn in day, I lifted the Ram box on the driver side to make sure nothing in it. Bolts fell to the ground, the hing popped and the front painted panel slid sideways. Good grief.

I'd had a dozen or more Rams up to this point, loved them all.

Well, they are on my crap list now. Maybe in a few more years I'll return to see how they're doing.

I just came to the site to see about posting the factory Ram bed divider that I realized is still in my garage and saw your post.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Both my Ram boxes fell apart in a variety of ways, they were fixed, fell apart again in about a month. This from gently opening and closing them as I knew they seemed shaky from the start.

Both Ram boxes were then entirely replaced. it's not just the front face and not just the box, it's the entire box that comes with the front face. A front face that a body shop has to paint. All under warranty.

I get the truck back, opened them maybe two times and they started falling apart again. The truck was already going back under lemon law at this point as I couldn't put fuel in it without sticking to the pump for up to a half hour each time, always wondering if this would be the time it finally would not release. So, I figured I'd just leave them all side ways with the hinges not working right, bolts falling out etc.

On turn in day, I lifted the Ram box on the driver side to make sure nothing in it. Bolts fell to the ground, the hing popped and the front painted panel slid sideways. Good grief.

I'd had a dozen or more Rams up to this point, loved them all.

Well, they are on my crap list now. Maybe in a few more years I'll return to see how they're doing.

I just came to the site to see about posting the factory Ram bed divider that I realized is still in my garage and saw your post.
What do you mean by falling apart? Do you have any pics of this? What bolts were falling out of them? What year is your truck? I'm having a difficult time envisioning what you're describing. I'm on my second 5th gen with the rambox option. I haven't had anything fall off or fall apart. No loose hardware. I don't baby mine in the least. Other than being a little misaligned, mine are working out great for me.

Vinnie.

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same here... i'm always slamming mine closed i even sat on mine the other day while i was fiddling with something in the bed.

anyone else know how strong they are, for example sitting on the lid from inside the bed?

Cliffrunner88

Ram Guru
Reaction score
same here... i'm always slamming mine closed i even sat on mine the other day while i was fiddling with something in the bed.

anyone else know how strong they are, for example sitting on the lid from inside the bed?
Sounds like at least “you” strong, lol

Users who are viewing this thread