5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Ram 1500 Running Boards, Sidesteps and Tonneau Covers

Ages

Reaction score
Just ordered a 2021 Big Horn 1500 5'7", unfortunately black sidesteps weren't available in the color truck I ordered. Also need an aftermarket tonneau cover (must fit Rambox) that is durable and can support some weight. Anybody have recommendations on black running boards/sidesteps and/or a durable tonneau cover. If you have them installed, please post a few pics. Links are greatly appreciated. If they fit the 2020 I'm pretty sure they'll fit the 2021.

TVANVA

Reaction score
I have a BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover with my RamBoxes. It works great, has given no trouble, and leaks only a tiny bit of water in heavy rain ( I never got around to putting some filler in the huge gaps at the edge of the tailgate, not the cover's fault).

Not sure about the weight limit. BAK says 400 lbs distributed. I can stand on it with little deflection.

antwon412

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have ordered aftermarket steps so will be selling my OEM black running boards.

Ages

Reaction score
I have a BakFlip MX4 tonneau cover with my RamBoxes. It works great, has given no trouble, and leaks only a tiny bit of water in heavy rain ( I never got around to putting some filler in the huge gaps at the edge of the tailgate, not the cover's fault).

Not sure about the weight limit. BAK says 400 lbs distributed. I can stand on it with little deflection.
I've heard a lot of good about that MX-4. Probably the one I'm going to go with. Do you have any pics of it on your truck?

Last edited:

Ages

Reaction score
Where are you located? I have ordered aftermarket steps so will be selling my OEM black running boards.
I'm in Texas but I'm going to Maine to pick up my truck. I'll be up there for hunting season, probably won't be back to Texas until after Thanksgiving. I'm liking the looks of the Go Rhino RB 20s with the textured powder coat.

TVANVA

Reaction score
As you wish....
IMG_1928.JPG
BAKFlip MX-4 Cover Closed

IMG_1930.JPG
Detail of overlap at side and tailgate. Note tailgate can be closed with cover down.

IMG_1932.JPG
Cover 2/3 open and secured with built in straps.

IMG_1933.JPG
Cover full open and secured with built in support rods. Bumpers protect glass.

IMG_1934.JPG
Cover fully open. Cover can be easily removed without tools (two knobs on the underside). Note - having the silver tie down rails with RAMBox is mandatory.

Attachments

• IMG_1931.JPG
    IMG_1931.JPG
    158.3 KB · Views: 39

Ages

Reaction score
BakFlip MX4 and Westin Outlaw side steps...
View attachment 68280
Tonneu cover and the running boards look great! The running board looks a lot like the Go Rhinos. I'd be losing too much ground clearance with that particular model, if they made the same thing without the lower tube it would work.
As you wish....
View attachment 68296

View attachment 68297
Detail of overlap at side and tailgate. Note tailgate can be closed with cover down.

View attachment 68299

View attachment 68301

View attachment 68302
Cover fully open. Cover can be easily removed without tools (two knobs on the underside). Note - having the silver tie down rails with RAMBox is mandatory.
Very nice!

CJR28

Reaction score
Tonneu cover and the running boards look great! The running board looks a lot like the Go Rhinos. I'd be losing too much ground clearance with that particular model, if they made the same thing without the lower tube it would work.

Very nice!
I looked at the outlaws and my concern was ground clearance too so i have the bedliner rb20s on order to replace the oem black boards. Im also expecting the mx4 in the next week, ordered through amazon it says it will be here by tomorrow. Ill post pictures once i get them on together

NorthernArea51

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Rough Country AL2 Drop Step boards I put on today

c4e790cd65e3536b972573446b5be563.jpg

114ebc27732295eac51a3c5d497b1c63.jpg

27c67bff5a718a73f64aef3b25c8af77.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Chopperbobby

Reaction score
westin. I was looking at the rough country but did not make for quad cab. Really like the Westin. I think they come in all black also. Under cover armor fex. sorry don't know if it will work with ram box. 2A566253-8576-4916-8C40-E1CC08FD1247_1_105_c.jpeg 463BF3C2-DBB1-4DE8-BE45-811C7FCAE4FD_1_105_c.jpeg

VNights

Reaction score
As you wish....
View attachment 68296

View attachment 68297

View attachment 68299

View attachment 68301

View attachment 68302

As you wish....

View attachment 68301

Can you tell me what you mean with your statement about having the silver tie down rails being mandatory if you have Rambox? I have a 2021 1500 Laramie with Rambox and BUG. I'm looking at the BAKFlip covers but don't want to give up the existing adjustable tie downs or the bed divider. I was hoping something would just use the existing rails in the bed without having to install new rails but not sure if that is possible.

broken_vet

Reaction score
On the trucks with Ramboxes, do not order the factory tonneau, and you will get silver rails. If you order with the factory tonneau, you'll get the black rails, and most aftermarket tonneaus won't work with the black rails.

TVANVA

Reaction score
The silver rails allow you to use the moveable tie downs, so you won't loose them. I don't have the bed divider, so I can't speak to that.

Post #7 shows pictures of the silver rails with the tie downs in use with the MX4..

snoakes1

Reaction score
Heres what not to get.... https://realtruck.com/p/ionic-black-61-series-running-boards/
I bought these from RealTruck shortly after getting my 2020 Laramie in February and had issues with the vinyl end cap and tread separating within a month. They warrantied them within a week, and sent me new ones in April. In July I noticed the same thing happening and contacted customer support. This time its been over 6 months and I finally got them to say they are supposedly shipping another set. They refused to give me a refund because I bought them in April and it was over 30 days. They blamed it all on the pandemic....

Kaiser81

Reaction score
Heres what not to get.... Ionic Black 61 Series Running Boards | RealTruck
I bought these from RealTruck shortly after getting my 2020 Laramie in February and had issues with the vinyl end cap and tread separating within a month. They warrantied them within a week, and sent me new ones in April. In July I noticed the same thing happening and contacted customer support. This time its been over 6 months and I finally got them to say they are supposedly shipping another set. They refused to give me a refund because I bought them in April and it was over 30 days. They blamed it all on the pandemic....
Any pics with 61 series on your truck? Looking at the same.

Users who are viewing this thread