5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 Hemi bouncing rpms when placed in drive

Checkas

Reaction score
Since I first purchased my truck I have had the same issue sporadically happening. When I crank the vehicle and put it in drive or reverse, sometimes I will get bouncing RPMs and hear the engine going up and down. I can apply fuel and I believe it goes away. But a few days or weeks or months later that he should comes back only for a moment.

I brought it to the dealership and at first they said absolutely nothing was wrong with the vehicle. So I brought it to another dealership who ran a test and said something about a coil for the air conditioner was out. I'm not quite clear on the details I'll have to go back and check. But they declined to service it since I didn't buy it from there. So I brought that information back to the original dealer and they looked at the ticket and confirmed the problem. This fixed it but apparently it didn't because here I am with the same problem again. As of January I'm out of manufacturer's warranty and into extended warranty and in Louisiana that means I'm on Louisiana dealers warranty.

Have any of you experienced this before or seen this issue? I'm concerned now that I'm out of warranty for manufacturer's purpose that I'm not going to get a resolution or is going to end up costing me something. It was documented twice so that will be my only way of getting around it. I have only 37,000 miles on my vehicle. It drives fine otherwise so I really don't even know how to troubleshoot something like that. I don't want to bring it to the original dealer because their service is horrible and they are not going to test it correctly.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
Try cleaning the throttle body.

As oil vapors and such build up on the throttle plate, it restricts air flow. The computer adjusts to compensate. You might just be in a spot right between steps. It cracks the throttle, but then it's too fast, so it closes a bit and now it's too low.

Don't just pull the duct and go to town with a can of Berryman's. It could bypass and end up inside the throttle motor. Wet an old toothbrush with carb spray and scrub the throttle body and the plate. Then wet a rag and wipe it all clean. If it was very dirty, when you start it up, it'll probably idle real high before it settles down. Take it for a drive with plenty of stop and go and let it come to temperature and it should all settle down.

Users who are viewing this thread