5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2021 F150 Owners Manual goes digital

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Just read that the F150 Owners Manual is going digital only. It'll be able to be viewed on the Sync infotainment screen in the truck. I think it's a good thing.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Just read that the F150 Owners Manual is going digital only. It'll be able to be viewed on the Sync infotainment screen in the truck. I think it's a good thing.
That was the rumor for our trucks in 2018. I guess they're still working on it :)

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I dislike it.

Having it digital is fine, but a paper copy is also useful. I've always encouraged people I know to take their new car owner's manual and leave it in the bathroom and read it a few pages at time while they're in there. You learn about all kinds of features the salesman never mentioned or demonstrated, or possibly even knows about, that way. When you're done, put it n the car. Something is bound to come up eventually, and you'll have this vague recollection of reading something about it and can look it up. Digitally? Ehhh.... how many people want to carry a laptop in with them, or if they do, read the manual instead of surfing the 'net?

SJC5

Reaction score
Does anyone with a 2021 know if this is a fact? While having a digital copy is great I like to have a paper copy too (and for the $$ we are paying this should be an option).

Jus Cruisin

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I dislike it.

Having it digital is fine, but a paper copy is also useful. I've always encouraged people I know to take their new car owner's manual and leave it in the bathroom and read it a few pages at time while they're in there. You learn about all kinds of features the salesman never mentioned or demonstrated, or possibly even knows about, that way. When you're done, put it n the car. Something is bound to come up eventually, and you'll have this vague recollection of reading something about it and can look it up. Digitally? Ehhh.... how many people want to carry a laptop in with them, or if they do, read the manual instead of surfing the 'net?
It's obvious from the questions that come up daily here and all of the other automotive forums I'm on, a vast majority of the owners never crack open their printed owners manuals. I just bought a 9 year old GT 500 and the manual was still in cellophane. I will miss it on occasion but it makes sense to eliminate the print version for as little as it is used.

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I dislike it.

A digital manual might be problematic for owners with broken infotainment systems. Unless that never happens on Fords. :)

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My 2019 has a digital Vehicle User Guide (Apps / Vehicle User Guide). I haven't played around with it that much so don't know if it's just a digital version of the User Guide that you get with the truck or the full-fledged Owner's Manual. I would guess that the name says it all.

I'm 'old-school' and prefer paper copies of everything, if nothing but a backup (I still have paper maps in my map pockets).

85% of what I would need to do involves the center screen anyway so a manual on my uConnect is not very practical. Not to mention when I get the black/blue screen of death as SpeedyV mentioned.

You can download the Owner's Manual for free although it is a 23MB file. It's also convenient that I can search for key words and use it on my cell phone.

While it is free it is still a 645 page document. Sure you can burn up your printer to make a paper copy but, as SJC5 said, at this price point we should get a hard copy with the truck (just like the User Guide that you get in the glove box).

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
My 2019 has a digital Vehicle User Guide (Apps / Vehicle User Guide). I haven't played around with it that much so don't know if it's just a digital version of the User Guide that you get with the truck or the full-fledged Owner's Manual. I would guess that the name says it all.

I'm 'old-school' and prefer paper copies of everything, if nothing but a backup (I still have paper maps in my map pockets).

85% of what I would need to do involves the center screen anyway so a manual on my uConnect is not very practical. Not to mention when I get the black/blue screen of death as SpeedyV mentioned.

You can download the Owner's Manual for free although it is a 23MB file. It's also convenient that I can search for key words and use it on my cell phone.

While it is free it is still a 645 page document. Sure you can burn up your printer to make a paper copy but, as SJC5 said, at this price point we should get a hard copy with the truck (just like the User Guide that you get in the glove box).
I requested one from FCA. There's an ancient thread about this (maybe from 2018), but you can request a hard copy. For a while, they were mistakenly sending out classic owner's manuals instead of 5th-gen manuals. But I got a correct hard copy on the 2nd try (still wrapped in plastic in my glove box).

I regularly refer to my PDF copies on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop. It's nice having a searchable digital document. I don't need it stored in the truck's computer to take advantage of it.

brian42

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I requested one from FCA. There's an ancient thread about this (maybe from 2018), but you can request a hard copy. For a while, they were mistakenly sending out classic owner's manuals instead of 5th-gen manuals. But I got a correct hard copy on the 2nd try (still wrapped in plastic in my glove box).

I regularly refer to my PDF copies on my iPhone, iPad, and laptop. It's nice having a searchable digital document. I don't need it stored in the truck's computer to take advantage of it.
I never knew that. I've clicked on the 'Order Hard Copy' link and it takes me to the Tech Authority website that would like me to part with $50+ for a hard copy.

Out of curiosity I found the old thread you were referring to. If you call RAM Customer Care at 1-866-726-4636 they will send you one free of charge (as long as you are the original purchaser).

I should have my copy in about 2 weeks. Thanks for the tip. (y)

Users who are viewing this thread