5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram Limited - Cylinder Head Problems - Loss of Trust

johssm

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM Limited 4WD with 21,000 miles. One morning my truck started shaking furiously, no power, but I was able to drive it the 1.5 miles to my house. I tried letting it sit, restarting it, checked all the plug wires, as it felt like it was missing - like when a plug wire comes off, etc. I had it towed to the dealership as it's still under warranty. After six weeks I got it back. They had to replace the right cylinder head completely due to a broken spring and other damage. FCA only let them try to replace a solenoid and a spring at first, but it didn't fix it. FCA finally relented and sent a new head. My truck seems to be running fine for the last 400 miles since it's been fixed.

The powertrain warranty will expire in two years. I like the truck but don't trust it anymore. I've had many cars, rebuilt engines myself (69 350), owned over a dozen cars, drove a car for two years where I had to hit the starter with a hammer once every 8 or 9 trips, so it would start, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but a 65K truck with 20K miles, oil changed religiously, 91 Octane gas, never hot-rodded or off-roaded hard, having this big a problem, and the dealership only replacing one head, doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling of having a truck that I can put 200K miles on. I wanted to keep it for "life" but thinking I should get rid of it. What do y'all think?

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
So you’re giving up on it because you had a uncommon valve spring issue? It’s a mass produced truck/motor.. there’s bound to be a few issue to a few unlucky ones.. let the dealer fix it and keep on moving.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Gobassin

Reaction score
I have a 2020 RAM Limited 4WD with 21,000 miles. One morning my truck started shaking furiously, no power, but I was able to drive it the 1.5 miles to my house. I tried letting it sit, restarting it, checked all the plug wires, as it felt like it was missing - like when a plug wire comes off, etc. I had it towed to the dealership as it's still under warranty. After six weeks I got it back. They had to replace the right cylinder head completely due to a broken spring and other damage. FCA only let them try to replace a solenoid and a spring at first, but it didn't fix it. FCA finally relented and sent a new head. My truck seems to be running fine for the last 400 miles since it's been fixed.

The powertrain warranty will expire in two years. I like the truck but don't trust it anymore. I've had many cars, rebuilt engines myself (69 350), owned over a dozen cars, drove a car for two years where I had to hit the starter with a hammer once every 8 or 9 trips, so it would start, so it's not like I don't know what I'm doing, but a 65K truck with 20K miles, oil changed religiously, 91 Octane gas, never hot-rodded or off-roaded hard, having this big a problem, and the dealership only replacing one head, doesn't give me that warm fuzzy feeling of having a truck that I can put 200K miles on. I wanted to keep it for "life" but thinking I should get rid of it. What do y'all think?
Well, since FCA repaired it all under warranty, and its stiill under warranty. I would just truck on!

johssm

Reaction score
Thanks. I don’t want to give up on it but was getting ready to do a 4 in BDS lift and new rims and tires, at about 8K, and wasn’t sure if this is a symptom of a future problematic engine 5 - 8 years down the road.

I’ll keep it two more years and if there are no more problems, I’ll make the additional investment. I do love the truck.

Punderwo

Reaction score
Replace the springs on the other head if you gives you piece of mind. Shouldn't be much more than about $750 for parts and labor.

Users who are viewing this thread