5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Rebel w/ Single DTC “P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire”

229Ready

Reaction score
2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7 Hemi w/ 92,5xx miles. Went into service 9/2019. Service history since new: Oil and filter change every 5k-6k miles w/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 and K&N oil filters. WIX cabin and engine air filter every 6k-10k miles. Technon Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 5k miles beginning at 75k miles.

The only mechanical issues were a dead battery in 2022 and cracked rear window frame in 2023. No other issues. This week check engine light came on. Scanned and retrieved DTC “P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire”. There were no noticeable engine knocks or engine performance issues to indicate an issue. Cleared code and all monitors reset. Added 2 16oz cans of Seafoam fuel additive to a fresh full tank. Have now driven 200 miles and further codes or issues.

I researched the possible causes of a P0301 code, but I am interested if anyone has had a similar issue? The truck is running great so not sure if there is reason for concern.

Also since the truck is approaching 100k miles, what are the recommendations for preventative services (plugs, wires, coil packs, coolant system flush, rear diff, transfer case, pads and rotors, etc).

Thank you in advance.

I know for sure the plugs should be changed at 100K intervals. I have read that the task can be an experience of frustration due to the plugs being hard to access on the rear driver's side due to various obstructions. The plugs themselves can be pricey and there are 16 (2 per cylinder)
Transmission fluid change - "rated for life" - warranty 60K or 5 yrs - you have to buy a new pan (OEM trans filter is not able to be changed) and the trans fluid (not cheap) service in parts once again. I am thinking of getting the PPE trans pan with a changeable filter and the pan is reusable (cry once, but save in the long run.) My previous truck had a spin on trans filter external to the transmission, very easy, to change out and then add new fluid to make up lost fluid. That transmission also had a longer service interval.
The differential fluids once again should be changed out (front if applicable) and the back differential.
Transfer case fluid as well if applicable.
I would then do the radiator flush while the temps are more temperate.
Brakes:
Your needs will vary but it would be wise to check the quality of the brake fluid and change if required. (If it is dark and not a light tan/hazy clear - flush and replace the fluid.)
Rotors and Pads inspect and determine required service based on the results of the inspections.

Wires - Coils - I do not have enough experience/knowledge in these parts. In much older cars, I had I would do wires/coils/rotor button/ distributor cap. I have lived in the diesel engine world for many years, just returning to a 1500-size truck.

Maintenance is expensive, but repairs are more so and usually accompanied by frustration/anger and inconvenience.
You can plan your maintenance based on time/funds/ability to obtain parts, so it can be a bit more tolerable vs. the above associated with untimely failure.

BlueHemi1500

2020 Ram 1500 Rebel 5.7 Hemi w/ 92,5xx miles. Went into service 9/2019. Service history since new: Oil and filter change every 5k-6k miles w/ Pennzoil Ultra Platinum Full Synthetic 5W-20 and K&N oil filters. WIX cabin and engine air filter every 6k-10k miles. Technon Complete Fuel System Cleaner every 5k miles beginning at 75k miles.

The only mechanical issues were a dead battery in 2022 and cracked rear window frame in 2023. No other issues. This week check engine light came on. Scanned and retrieved DTC “P0301 Cylinder 1 Misfire”. There were no noticeable engine knocks or engine performance issues to indicate an issue. Cleared code and all monitors reset. Added 2 16oz cans of Seafoam fuel additive to a fresh full tank. Have now driven 200 miles and further codes or issues.

I researched the possible causes of a P0301 code, but I am interested if anyone has had a similar issue? The truck is running great so not sure if there is reason for concern.

Also since the truck is approaching 100k miles, what are the recommendations for preventative services (plugs, wires, coil packs, coolant system flush, rear diff, transfer case, pads and rotors, etc).

Thank you in advance.
Had a P0308 without drive-ability issues, new fuel injector took care of it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back