5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Ram 1500 Battery Drain Issue.

BlueRamsMatter

Reaction score
Hi Everyone,

First off, i want to say I love my 2020 Ram 1500 Laramie. It’s fully loaded and one of my favorite cars.

A year into owning it I would notice that my battery would die after the truck was parked 2-3 days. I thought i was leaving something on but later after multiple times I realized it wasn’t me.

I took the vehicle to Rydell for some recalls and mentioned the battery issue. I was told the battery was working fine and the recalls were solved. However, the battery was not fixed and started to get worse. The battery would die after one day of the vehicle being parked. I once again took it to Rydell and they checked the battery telling me it was fine. I remember arguing with the service tech.

I ended up changing the battery myself thinking it was a faulty battery. The vehicle went back to being able to hold charge for 3-4 days at most but would die again. I took it to ram where they told me the battery issues weren’t covered under warranty and yup they in fact told me nothing was wrong with it after checking again.

I went to a different Ram dealership (Ellis) who kept the vehicle more than a week and did a thorough check of the vehicle. I was called by a service tech who started the conversation with “This is definitely weird but we found the problem.” I was told that the Ram dealership i bought the vehicle from had placed an aftermarket GPS tracker on the vehicle. Apparently so many of the Ram trucks get stolen that certain areas where Ram dealers are located will install them. Ellis Ram provided me with a detailed report indicating that the sole reason of the battery drain issue was the gps tracker.
I ended up paying over 800 dollars for labor and a new battery and they apologized to me letting me know they don’t do the same work as Rydell.

I went through every single piece of paperwork i had an there was absolutely no mention of any aftermarket gps tracker being put on the vehicle. I contacted mopar and Rydell who refused to provide the money back saying “Sorry we don’t reimburse money on any work that contains aftermarket parts.” I was furious and no matter how much i explained it was them who placed it i got no where.

Has anyone gone through anything similar ? I also hope that this post helps if you are dealing with the same battery drain problem i dealt with.

I have currently contacted an attorney and started a lawsuit.

-Nick

Users who are viewing this thread

Back