5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2020 Bighorn hemi starting problem

Will50

Reaction score
Intermittent problem, happened 4 times in last 3 months; three times in June and once last week. On entering truck brake pedal will not depress, push button will go to acc and starter does not engage. Apply and release Park brake, no change. Exit truck and try remote start only get loud click at starter. Battery good. No codes. After many attempts, anywhere from 10 to 100 minutes brake releases and truck starts fine. Dealer unable to duplicate but found loose connection on starter. Replaced starter and are 85% confident problem solved. I can't believe that a loose electrical connection on a starter could cause the brake pedal to lock. Could it be the immobilizer? Anyone experience this issue?

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Most likely starter. What immobizer are you referring to?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Intermittent problem, happened 4 times in last 3 months; three times in June and once last week. On entering truck brake pedal will not depress, push button will go to acc and starter does not engage. Apply and release Park brake, no change. Exit truck and try remote start only get loud click at starter. Battery good. No codes. After many attempts, anywhere from 10 to 100 minutes brake releases and truck starts fine. Dealer unable to duplicate but found loose connection on starter. Replaced starter and are 85% confident problem solved. I can't believe that a loose electrical connection on a starter could cause the brake pedal to lock. Could it be the immobilizer? Anyone experience this issue?
Do you have auto parking brake enabled? If so, you are just asking for trouble. Anyway, that could keep the pedal tight. It's not locked, just pressurized. There's nothing to lock the pedal in place.

vincentw56

Reaction score
why are you saying this??
Just wait until your battery dies, or there is an electrical issue with traction control, ABS, etc. You will not be able to retract the parking brake at all. Then it will be stuck and can only be towed on the front wheels. Not even on a flat bed because the truck's rear wheels are locked. Electronic parking brake sucks. Ask me how I know. Use to use the "auto" until there was an ABS issue. I could still drive the truck had I not set that stupid parking brake.

Will50

Reaction score
Do you have auto parking brake enabled? If so, you are just asking for trouble. Anyway, that could keep the pedal tight. It's not locked, just pressurized. There's nothing to lock the pedal in place.
No auto brake not used or the problem. Also front and rear brake assist off.

Will50

Reaction score
hate to disagree but pedal would not move....... Auto park not used.

Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
hate to disagree but pedal would not move....... Auto park not used.
Its a normal brake system, same that has been used since the power brake booster was introduced. Nothing on this system will stop the pedal from moving, it may be hard to push.
Then it will be stuck and can only be towed on the front wheels. Not even on a flat bed because the truck's rear wheels are locked.
Decent tow truck companies have ways around getting vehicles on flat beds. You should see how some unload them when the wheels are locked or they can't get them out of drive. You might s#it yourself.

Scram1500

Reaction score
Once the stored vacuum in the booster is consumed, the brake pedal will become hard.

bigdodge

Happy Ram Owner
Reaction score
Just wait until your battery dies, or there is an electrical issue with traction control, ABS, etc. You will not be able to retract the parking brake at all. Then it will be stuck and can only be towed on the front wheels. Not even on a flat bed because the truck's rear wheels are locked. Electronic parking brake sucks. Ask me how I know. Use to use the "auto" until there was an ABS issue. I could still drive the truck had I not set that stupid parking brake.
my understanding there is a manual way to retract the parking brake by removing the panel
it is how a tow truck driver would do it because they would not have a key

vincentw56

Reaction score
my understanding there is a manual way to retract the parking brake by removing the panel
it is how a tow truck driver would do it because they would not have a key
That is absolutely not true. What that does is put the transmission in neutral. It does not retract the parking brake at all. There's no manual way to retract the parking brake.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
That is absolutely not true. What that does is put the transmission in neutral. It does not retract the parking brake at all. There's no manual way to retract the parking brake.
There is a way, not terribly difficult. Remove actuators from calipers, there is a screw that can be turned. Just saying

vincentw56

Reaction score
There is a way, not terribly difficult. Remove actuators from calipers, there is a screw that can be turned. Just saying
Pretty difficult if you need to move the truck. Jack it up, remove the wheel, struggle to remove that calibers since they are clamped to the rotor, then turn the screw. Sounds really easy.

Will50

Reaction score
We are a little off topic. The trucks brakes were not locked. Parking brake on and off worked properly. Brake pedal would not move, both feet on pedal pushing as hard as my 73 year old body would allow with no movement of pedal. Because the pedal wouldn't depress start button only went to auxiliary mode. Remote start would not work, only heard a click from starter. Towtruck operator put truck in neutral (pull tab - good to know) and loaded truck, the brakes were not on. When mechanic inspected vehicle could not find or duplicate problem. Movement on tow truck probably resolved issue. Changed starter because connector appeared bad. I will have to wait to see if it happens again.
Thank goodness I have roadside assistance, but a $750 starter replacement without a 100% fix guarantee is disappointing.

vincentw56

Reaction score
We are a little off topic. The trucks brakes were not locked. Parking brake on and off worked properly. Brake pedal would not move, both feet on pedal pushing as hard as my 73 year old body would allow with no movement of pedal. Because the pedal wouldn't depress start button only went to auxiliary mode. Remote start would not work, only heard a click from starter. Towtruck operator put truck in neutral (pull tab - good to know) and loaded truck, the brakes were not on. When mechanic inspected vehicle could not find or duplicate problem. Movement on tow truck probably resolved issue. Changed starter because connector appeared bad. I will have to wait to see if it happens again.
Thank goodness I have roadside assistance, but a $750 starter replacement without a 100% fix guarantee is disappointing.
Yeah, sorry for going off topic. But happy for you that it is working. I don't think I've ever had any repair shop guarantee 100% that they fixed a possible electrical issue. But hopefully they did fix it.

vincentw56

Reaction score
Clearly there is a way. I corrected you, it's ok to be wrong. Even on the ground not impossible.
Ah, so glad you are there to help. Clearly you've done it. I'm glad you could share your experience. Thank you for setting me straight.

Users who are viewing this thread