5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram stalled on freeway won't restart service electronic throttle control error

djmacc

Reaction score
I have 160000 on my Ram and I love the truck. I have had very few issues with it but today the motor just stalled on the freeway and displayed the service electronic throttle control. Before the tow truck came I disconnected the battery cable to reset the ECM but no dice. I had it towed to a shop and they suspect the timing chain broke and they were concerned about engine internals being damaged when the chain broke which I understand is a possibility. They found no signal at the cam sensor which leads them to believe the cam is not turning due to the chain. They said they could take the engine apart to confirm but they were pretty confident that its the chain. Before I decided about which direction I should go I thought I would throw out a few details to see if anyone has had a similar experience. I need to mention before the tow truck showed up I noticed that the shifter would not allow any movement and the engine did not stop cranking even after I released the start button. Are these electrical gremlins that might be connected the throttle control failure?. I also had scanner in the truck and I forget the specific code but it indicated that bank 1 was flooded or running rich.
So with 160000 I would probably consider replacing the engine myself rather than put any serious money in the chain replacement and perhaps other damage but is it possible this is an electronics issue?
Please let me know what you guys think
Dan
PS the truck is all stock

Users who are viewing this thread