5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 4wd overheated performance temporarily reduced

silver billet

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is generally thought that the clutch slipping in and out in 4auto builds heat and the clutch constantly applied does not slip and build heat.

That makes sense yes, but I'm wondering if that's simple. If you're in auto and the system senses that you just need 2wd and keeps you there (say) 98% of the time, that has to be less friction and slip than a system that is 4wd hi trying to stay there as much as possible, but forces (turning corners applies binding to the system) constantly make the system engage and disengage or whatever.

I'm sure I'm wrong but if I had this issue I'd definitely try auto instead of 4hi just to see what it does. I have run an hour or 2+ on snowy roads in auto and never had any issues, so clearly in some cases the system as designed can work without issue.

Users who are viewing this thread