5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 RAM 1500 Wheel Hop in 4 Lock

Crusader

Reaction score
I just bought a 2019 RAM 1500 4x4. When I test it out in 4 Lock going straight (no turns at all) on dry concrete I get terrible wheel hop. It is still under warranty and the dealership keeps telling me that this is how it should operate. I understand wheel hop is normal when turning, but going straight? The service manager is telling me that because it is 4 Lock and not 4 High this is how it should operate. Please help!

Im not a guru with all the 4 wheel stuff and lock but from my understanding you only want to engage the lock and 4 wheels when you are not on dry concrete and on a slippery surface. On dry concrete your tires don't get enough slippage and is building up a ton of torque in the axles and I think it can damage something. Please correct me if I am wrong because i am still very new to all this 4 wheel stuff and off road.

I'm just trying to test it out to make sure it works. I'm talking less than 5 seconds driving straight and its hopping all over the place. Is this normal or not? My Chevy Silverado 4x4 drives just fine in 4 High on pavement when testing to compare. RTM my butt! Get over yourself.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

I'm just trying to test it out to make sure it works. I'm talking less than 5 seconds driving straight and its hopping all over the place. Is this normal or not? My Chevy Silverado 4x4 drives just fine in 4 High on pavement when testing to compare. RTM my butt! Get over yourself.

LOL, testy-testy. Read up a bit on driving in 4WD lock on dry pavement. Why must we explain if something is normal when your manual explicitly tells you not to do it??

Again I am very new to the 4 wheel world but I would imagine all the wheel hopping you are experiencing would be really advantageous in a very muddy/ slippery/ rocky situation. I've been watching some videos where there are even techniques for off roaders to mimic a real axle lock and its basically stepping on the gas and brake at the same time then releasing brake really quick to try achieving the "wheel hop" motion to get them out of a situation. I am not really well versed in silverado technology but do they even have a true real axle lock on their truck or is it something like hub lock? I have used real axle lock on my rebel when i took it semi off road and it did get me up a part of the trail that i would have not been otherwise without it. I was off trail so I didn't experience as much wheel hop but did feel it happening none the less and I would imagine it would have been way more pronounced if i was on dry road. Again try limiting your usage of axle lock on dry roads cause i hear things can bind up and create a messy situation if abused.

p.s i really do hope a true 4 wheel off roader can chime in here and give their input because I am too learning this wonderful world of roading..

4 wheel drive on dry pavement isn't the best idea but, it should not "hop" around as you claim. What can cause that is tires of differing diameters, eg, different air pressures, uneven wear, uneven loading front to rear. One thing is certain, the system seems to be working. Next time, try a gravel or dirt road, or a surface with some give.

4 wheel drive on dry pavement isn't the best idea but, it should not "hop" around as you claim. What can cause that is tires of differing diameters, eg, different air pressures, uneven wear, uneven loading front to rear. One thing is certain, the system seems to be working. Next time, try a gravel or dirt road, or a surface with some give.
Is this true if he has 4wheel plus Axle lock enabled?

Is this true if he has 4wheel plus Axle lock enabled?
Are you referring to the e-locker? The same would hold true with the locker engaged or not.
In reference to your other post; you do not want wheel hop while off roading. Wheel hop leads to broken axle shafts, spider gears, etc. The reason people "two pedal" is to try and get even traction to both wheels since they lack a true locker. It can work, sort of, but it is no substitute for a true locker, or even a limited slip. Your Rebel has a true locker in the rear, when engaged, which applies equal power to the rear wheels. Slow and easy is the way to go off road.

If you really have to try out the 4X4 locked on a pavement,
at least do it on a wet asphalt, it will still bind but might not be as detrimental to the drive-line.

I’m surprised nobody has asked what the OP means by “4 Lock”. (Theres no such thing.)

Out of the Low, High, and Auto 4WD ranges, I presume we’re talking about 4WD Low, as it’s the most likely scenario to experience this behavior.

But it’s also possible to experience wheel hop on dry pavement in 4WD High, and with or without the ELocker engaged in either range (as others have stated above).

I’m surprised nobody has asked what the OP means by “4 Lock”. (Theres no such thing.)

Out of the Low, High, and Auto 4WD ranges, I presume we’re talking about 4WD Low, as it’s the most likely scenario to experience this behavior.

But it’s also possible to experience wheel hop on dry pavement in 4WD High, and with or without the ELocker engaged in either range (as others have stated above).

Yes, 4WD Lock was a setting on the 4th gens, but not 5th gens AFAIK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back