5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 ESC and Transmission Issue

largre

Reaction score
I have a 2019 Ram 1500 with 5.7 hemi and 8 speed trans. The ESC light and check engine light are on and there's a message to service the ESC. I can drive...sort of, as the transmission will not shift out of first gear when this happens. Also, the 2WD, 4WD, etc. indicator lights are off. This has happened three times in 2 yrs 3 months after getting it new. The issue goes away, at least so far. It's still under warranty with 14000 miles on it and I have an appointment with the dealership in April, but would like to know what's going on. My understanding is that typically when the ESC needs service, a vehicle is still driveable.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
I'd say it's most likely that somewhere there is a shared sensor that has gotten erratic. Something like the output shaft speed. Then it has no way of knowing when it's time to upshift, nor can it tell that if the rear wheels are spinning because it doesn't know how fast they should be going, so ESC is deactivated. And if the whatever sensor is in the transfer case, you lose 4WD too.

But it's all speculation without some kind of code to get started.

CMil527

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Welcome.. I agree with what Richard is suggesting as we can only speculate until you get the code read, hopefully just a sensor issue of some kind.

Users who are viewing this thread