5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Ram 1500 Big Horn - Chaos After Battery Replacement

jmhecker

Reaction score
I went to start my 2019 Ram 1500 Bighorn yesterday morning and nothin. Just the dreaded staccato clickety-clack of the starter trying to engage. I checked the main 12v battery under the hood, and it reported just shy of 10v. Threw it on the charger for a while, and couldn't get it to get any higher. So, I swapped out the battery. Something that I have done many times in my life...on vehicles that were less 'computer centric' than today's vehicles are.

Anyway, new battery is in, and it started right up. Yay! ...or so I thought. Almost immediately there was the CEL brightly lit. Followed up by the Battery light.

So, I threw my OBD2 scanner on, and saw these codes: P0AA1 (x2), P1618 (x2), U0412 (x2), P0AC0, and P1DF3.
1728041894692.png

This is what the Battery pane of Vehicle Information looks like:

1728041910512.png

I assume that the Battery Voltage pane is showing the voltage for the 12v battery under the hood, and not the eTorque battery...right?

I cleared the codes to see if they would come back, and they did, almost immediately. I tried to pull the 12v battery and let it sit for a while to see if that would help 'reset' things, and it didn't,

What else should I be looking into? Or is this now a "take it to the shop" moment?

Side note: I just had it at the dealership a few weeks ago where they rebuilt the top half of the engine and I think they also updated the firmware on the ECU. They did mention at that time that the battery should be replaced, but I was not about to pay their outrageous price for it. (the other work they performed was all covered under warranty).

Measure the 12 volt battery voltage with a multi-meter while the truck is running.
If it truly is 12 volts then the DC to DC charging system from the 48 volt side might have failed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back