5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 Laramie Sound Improvement?

EdH

Reaction score
Just purchased a 2019 Laramie Black Edition. Any suggestions on how to best, slightly, improve the sound to sound a bit more throaty/growly yet not drone (i drive lots at 70mph)? Also, i don't want to go to a sigle pipe as i like the look of the dual exhaust tips.
Thx!

ksn240

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a Flowmaster Outlaw (Super 10) on mine. These trucks have so many resonators so it isn't as loud as what the 40 was on my 2013. It's a low rumble. You hear it loud on startup and if you really jump on it but that is it. Going 70-80 down the highway you can barely even hear it unless you hit the gas hard.

I'm going to try to get a video of me driving off and from inside the cab one day soon. Gotta get some help from the wife. It's not loud enough for my taste. I'm looking at probably going to a Carven cat back system.

Rammit

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I put a Flowmaster Outlaw (Super 10) on mine. These trucks have so many resonators so it isn't as loud as what the 40 was on my 2013. It's a low rumble. You hear it loud on startup and if you really jump on it but that is it. Going 70-80 down the highway you can barely even hear it unless you hit the gas hard.

I'm going to try to get a video of me driving off and from inside the cab one day soon. Gotta get some help from the wife. It's not loud enough for my taste. I'm looking at probably going to a Carven cat back system.
Sounds great

Phoon

Reaction score
I have had good success with cold air intakes, they don't seem to add the advertised power but do improve the sound. Exhaust systmes tend to sound wierd in eco/4cyl mode.

392DCGC

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have had good success with cold air intakes, they don't seem to add the advertised power but do improve the sound. Exhaust systmes tend to sound wierd in eco/4cyl mode.
AKA hot air intakes lol. Open air cone filters can increase engine sound for sure and aren't a bad idea, but certainly nothing to be had performance wise unless the stock filter is undersized.

Pnorth

Reaction score
AKA hot air intakes lol. Open air cone filters can increase engine sound for sure and aren't a bad idea, but certainly nothing to be had performance wise unless the stock filter is undersized.
Could you elaborate? Aren't there closed cold air systems too - if you're referring to the filters sucking warm air from the engine bay?

Shaunt13

Reaction score

The issue isnt the resonators, they havent increased the number of resonators on the '19', the problem is they went from single in dual out to a single in single out tona y pipe design....which in point dampens the sound which sucks....i put a super 44 flowmaster on mine and doesnt sound nearly as good as my 17 with same setup

Pnorth

Reaction score

Do you, or any one else, know the cell count on the cat? Just thinking about another car in our household where I've changed the cat to a HJS 200 Cell ( cpsi ) cat - which opens up quite a bit, but still legal - here at least.

768mph

Reaction score
The issue isnt the resonators, they havent increased the number of resonators on the '19', the problem is they went from single in dual out to a single in single out tona y pipe design....which in point dampens the sound which sucks....i put a super 44 flowmaster on mine and doesnt sound nearly as good as my 17 with same setup
They HAVE increased the resonators; added a new one before the muffler. The rear resonators are now larger. Your statement about the muffler makes no sense whatsoever; the new muffler is now smaller and less chambers. They’ve added a smooth Y pipe before the single pipe inlet and now a smooth Y pipe after the muffler for better flow.

OP, look at Black Widow 300 muffler or Magnaflow. Smooth sound and no drone (depending on size of magnaflow)

Shaunt13

Reaction score
They HAVE increased the resonators; added a new one before the muffler. The rear resonators are now larger. Your statement about the muffler makes no sense whatsoever; the new muffler is now smaller and less chambers. They’ve added a smooth Y pipe before the single pipe inlet and now a smooth Y pipe after the muffler for better flow.

OP, look at Black Widow 300 muffler or Magnaflow. Smooth sound and no drone (depending on size of magnaflow)
You are obviously misinformed! There has always been a y pipe before the inlet, they have now moved away from dual outlet and went with a single outlet to a y pipe

768mph

Reaction score
You are obviously misinformed! There has always been a y pipe before the inlet, they have now moved away from dual outlet and went with a single outlet to a y pipe

The previous Y pipe was a smashed afterthought. Which is why many, including myself, upgraded for better flow.

Attached photos are the previous Gen “Y pipe”. Crushed into 1.5” pipes to fit into the 3” pipe.

You should probably go check out your Y pipe now for comparison. Also it’s best to do your homework before calling someone out; someone who’s knows what he’s talking about. (Sincere)
I couldn’t help but notice you didn’t “correct” the extra resonator.

Attachments

• 51066AD9-9688-4C18-AD9A-A5F30080F3E9.jpeg
    51066AD9-9688-4C18-AD9A-A5F30080F3E9.jpeg
    16.5 KB · Views: 35
  • F3E9598E-212D-4F4D-8B69-927B94E155B3.jpeg
    F3E9598E-212D-4F4D-8B69-927B94E155B3.jpeg
    16.8 KB · Views: 35

Users who are viewing this thread