5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 hood?

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Almost done with a 1,900 mile with the new laramie and will be doing a break down, AZ to WA. The fitrst thing that is bothersome is the hood while going threw a car wash, the blowers at the end make it look like tissue paper in the wind. The metal seems very thin, going to see how my 2003 1500 hood looks to compare. Hope this dose not kill the paint.

YardSale

Reaction score
I've seen this on other vehicles I've owned. Didn't seem to bother the paint at all.

rp781

Reaction score
Almost done with a 1,900 mile with the new laramie and will be doing a break down, AZ to WA. The fitrst thing that is bothersome is the hood while going threw a car wash, the blowers at the end make it look like tissue paper in the wind. The metal seems very thin, going to see how my 2003 1500 hood looks to compare. Hope this dose not kill the paint.
Have the same thing on my 2016 F150. Never any damage....I will check out the same thing when I get my new Laramie.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
I was guessing/hoping it would be ok. The other Wind oriented issue I did notice going threw Sacramento ar around 75 to 80 mph with high cross winds est 35-45 mph had some strange harmonic noise a howl / Whistling coming from the truck, otherwise cab is very quiet.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Weird harmonic noise could have been something from the active noise cancellation trying to combat the wind noise maybe?

19llhpb

Ram Guru
Reaction score

My ‘17 Expedition does this. When I first bought it I thought I was going to loose the hood every time I passed a big rig going in the opposite direction on the highway. Never did and Igeuss I’m use to it now.

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My ‘17 Expedition does this. When I first bought it I thought I was going to loose the hood every time I passed a big rig going in the opposite direction on the highway. Never did and Igeuss I’m use to it now.

Same on the 2016 F150 I traded. I haven't noticed it on the RAM yet but only 800 miles.

Cattail cruncher

Reaction score
Wind harmonic was on the outside it was very loud and intermittent, active noise control did nothing for it, it was witg a 90° side wind.

mm-etech

Reaction score
Wind harmonic was on the outside it was very loud and intermittent, active noise control did nothing for it, it was witg a 90° side wind.

I believe they use Aluminum alloy on 19's hood. That may be the reason. Said that, my X5 has Aluminum Hood and it is very solid, my old Hyundai had the same issue, but no bending.....

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter & Order Tracking
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Take a look at my post under Service bulletin . might be a reason for your issue

Last edited:

alwi228

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if I am missing something. I have gone through a car wash with he dryers and not seen the slightest movement in the hood. Maybe my eye is off or hopefully it's only including some of the 19'. Crazy that a dealership had to pull the whole lot.

I Love Grits

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I wonder if I am missing something. I have gone through a car wash with he dryers and not seen the slightest movement in the hood. Maybe my eye is off or hopefully it's only including some of the 19'. Crazy that a dealership had to pull the whole lot.

FCA issued a Service Bulletin (23-029-18) on June 27th about the hood fluttering.

This bulletin applies to vehicles built on or after October 02, 2017 (MDH 1002XX) and on or before April 30, 2018 (MDH 0430XX).

The fix is to apply some urethane adhesive (same stuff used on the windshields) to the inner hood between the hood itself and supports.

My truck was built after the cutoff, and I haven't noticed any hood flutter. Sounds like they fixed the issue at the factory. +1 for you guys still waiting on orders ;)

firecadet613

Ram Guru
Reaction score
FCA issued a Service Bulletin (23-029-18) on June 27th about the hood fluttering.

The fix is to apply some urethane adhesive (same stuff used on the windshields) to the inner hood between the hood itself and supports.

My truck was built after the cutoff, and I haven't noticed any hood flutter. Sounds like they fixed the issue at the factory. +1 for you guys still waiting on orders ;)

Thanks for posting that! I haven't noticed the issue but glad to see I'm built well after the cutoff date!

Biga

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've heard about this on other vehicles. I've never taken my 2014 through a car wash, I only hand wash it so I couldn't compare.

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Changed my post from tcp to service bulletin, for accuracy sakes

edrclark

Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score

And the dealer just put them back upon their site, so all is fixed

Users who are viewing this thread