5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 axle nut question

motorbreath

Reaction score
Hey all. I ran a search but didn't find many hits for my question. About to swap a bad wheel bearing and now realize the hardest step is finding a new axle nut! What's the deal with this?? No local stores even have an option to order one. Contemplating reusing the old, although I've never done that. Thoughts? Any help is greatly appreciated!

Rick3478

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I'm inferring front wheel bearing. I wouldn't expect to need a new nut unless you tear things up really bad geting the old one apart. Cotter pin I'd expect to replace. If you really need a nut, I suppose the dealer can order one, but I wouldn't expect any of the third party bearing makers to have it.

Richard320

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
LA County, People's Republic of California
The service manual instructions for the half shaft specifically say to replace the Circlip on the inner joint, but just says to "Install axle shaft nut. Tighten to torque specifications." To me that sounds like they expect it to be reused. Typically they will say to discard the old nut of it's not supposed to be reused. BTW, the torque spec is 185 ft/lb.

Attachments

• 03 - Differential and Driveline_Half Shaft_Removal and Installation REMOVAL AND INSTALLATION.pdf
    232.4 KB · Views: 16

motorbreath

Reaction score
Ok thanks a bunch fellas! I'm going to get on it tomorrow, greatly appreciate the info 👍

motorbreath

Reaction score
One other question, you guys think I should add some loctite to the threads?

Users who are viewing this thread