5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 5.7 Hemi engine knocking when cold

Ethan2388

Reaction score
My 2019 Ram with the 5.7 hemi about (37,000miles) will knock on a cold start, only once the engine has idled down and starts to build temperature. If I rev the truck the knocking will speed up and get louder. But once at operating temperature the noise seems to quiet down to a settle tapping(almost not noticeable). I’ve already had the truck into the dealer they did both side manifolds and bolts but the noise is still there. Now I’m being told that’s normal noise. I doubt it’s normal, I’ve done some research and found a couple people with similar symptoms had engines replaced and the cause was the failing hydraulic lifters. They mentioned that the dealer inspected the OCV and found metal shavings and that was the reason for a whole a engine. Has anyone else experienced this, I will try to attach a video of the knocking.

bwbyrnes

Reaction score
Manifold bolts cracked. Happened to both sides at different times. Dealer fixed it no problem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

CNC99

Reaction score
If both manifolds have been replaced I’d say it’s a lifter issue. The video listed definitely seems loud, especially if that’s after it has warmed up. Google search “star case report s1709000010 ram” and you should find the star case listed at the top with what the dealer did for those others you mentioned.

Mr.Grid

Reaction score
If the oil filter has been on over 3,000 miles from last oil change, replace it with new and then cut the old filter open. Remove the filter pleat assembly and then remove the filter paper with a hack saw. Pull the paper open exposing the inner pleat area. Should be free of metal shavings. Inspect the bottom of the metal filter housing also. If shavings are visible, take pics to document everything.

I have a tool that cuts the top of oil filters off, but have used a hack saw to do this also. Just slightly more work.

Users who are viewing this thread