5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2019 1500 heater core

trobin0406

Reaction score
Has anyone had problems with their heater core? I went to my dealer the other day to address a leaking exhaust manifold and made a comment regarding an antifreeze smell on the outside of the vehicle. They stated after a pressure test they smelled antifreeze in my air vents and said it's a leaking heater core and would be 1800+ to replace. And after I asked if it was covered under my extended warranty I was told it expired at 75k and I just hit 77k.

I would much rather fix it myself and save most of that but haven't been able to find details as to the extent of what needs to be removed. Is there a way I could stick a camera in the HVAC plenum to verify it's leaking? Does anyone have details on the repair?

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
I just went through it but extended warranty covered it. The price is about the same as what was on my paperwork.

Not sure if you can see anything with a camera, but I do know that there’s a post in here that shows the process of removing the dash.

Maybe find out if they would cover it under goodwill since it is so close to the end of coverage, the worst they could say is no.

trobin0406

Reaction score
I cannot find a dash removal procedure in search. Would you be able to give more info?

I tried asking if they could make an exception or even help cover but it was a solid no. I even hoped to just get it partially covered but there was no budging.

I almost feel like the tech that conducted the pressure test messed up. I didnt have a smell inside until after picking it up. This is a new dealership to me so I am not sure If they are honest or crooked. All I know they over pressurized the system and caused the leak and just blamed it on the statement. They figure since it's tax time more people have money to spend.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score
Trying to find it too, I saw it when I was trying to get info on the antifreeze smell in my truck. It must be tucked into a thread which makes it more difficult to find.

I’ll keep looking when I’m here.

eye exaggerate

Reaction score

There’s some info in this thread

cevans6318

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I cannot find a dash removal procedure in search. Would you be able to give more info?

I tried asking if they could make an exception or even help cover but it was a solid no. I even hoped to just get it partially covered but there was no budging.

I almost feel like the tech that conducted the pressure test messed up. I didnt have a smell inside until after picking it up. This is a new dealership to me so I am not sure If they are honest or crooked. All I know they over pressurized the system and caused the leak and just blamed it on the statement. They figure since it's tax time more people have money to spend.
if your heater core is leaking, you will know it. You will be losing coolant, and sense it is within the heater box assembly, its either leaking into the interior or out of the evap drains depending on how the box is configured. Hell for all you know there is nothing wrong with the heater core. Go to autozone and rent a coolant pressure tester and test for yourself. Tech may have just misdiagnosed your vehicle and thought he smelled coolant in the air vents. Its vary rare for a tech to over pressurize the system and if they do, a coolant line will blow out before the heater core will start leaking. over pressurizing the system that much to cause a leak will blow something apart (usually a coolant line) not just cause a tiny leak. Yes some techs are shady but most aren't. I am a tech and work with about 40 other techs and in 16 yrs, I have never seen a tech purposely mess up a customer car just to make a sale. Hell most customers are cheap as it is and tax time makes them even cheaper. Would rather spend their money elsewhere, not on their car.

Users who are viewing this thread