5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

$2000?

Tonka2020

Reaction score
Went to mechanic today. Stated I need Differential fluid change, front and rear, transfer case fluid. Brake fluid changed AND new plugs! I have a 2019 Laramie 1500 Hemi 5.7 liter. With 70k. Master mechanic said plugs show cracking and Carbon arc damage. Sent me a pic. I don't tow. Drove from Kansas To Florida twice this year. Is this legit? I replaced the battery a few months back. I'm looking at $2000 bill with an oil change thrown in. Does this sound legit?
I'm a female. Not using dealer. This is a family owned, NAPA backed mechanic

You're being ripped off. My dealer mentioned a $300 cost for front and rear diff fluid. My dealer also charges $39.95 for my truck's oil changes. They have a $200/hr labor rate, so the plugs should be a 1 hour max effort. I would think everything you're getting done, by a non dealer service center, should be way less than $1000, but I know there are variances, so I'm throwing a high number.

I bought front and rear diff and transfer case fluid for $150 from AMSOIL. If you're at all mechanically inclined it's a 1 hour DIY job including clean up. Less than 1 hour for a mechanic shop. Brake fluid is cheap and easy to change. So if they charge 2 hours of labor for the fluids you should be under $600 for a decently priced shop. They're charging $1500 for plugs and labor. You can get NGK Iridium plugs for under $150. Agree that even $1000 is pushing it for all of it combined.

You're being ripped off. My dealer mentioned a $300 cost for front and rear diff fluid. My dealer also charges $39.95 for my truck's oil changes. They have a $200/hr labor rate, so the plugs should be a 1 hour max effort. I would think everything you're getting done, by a non dealer service center, should be way less than $1000, but I know there are variances, so I'm throwing a high number.
That's about right where they quoted me. $300 for differential. Transfer Case service $361 and plugs $888. Cooling system flush $210. I think my concern is more with with such light driving why my plugs look bad already? I had tranny fluid change at 60k and my mechanic back then said plugs looked good. So I'm sceptical. Then again he also didn't have me change the tranny filter at that time. And after the fact, I read here that is the most important part. So I should have just waited till 100 k and done everything at once.

I bought front and rear diff and transfer case fluid for $150 from AMSOIL. If you're at all mechanically inclined it's a 1 hour DIY job including clean up. Less than 1 hour for a mechanic shop. Brake fluid is cheap and easy to change. So if they charge 2 hours of labor for the fluids you should be under $600 for a decently priced shop. They're charging $1500 for plugs and labor. You can get NGK Iridium plugs for under $150. Agree that even $1000 is pushing it for all of it combined.
Thank you both for your info. It's so hard to find reputable shops these days. I'm recently unemployed and this is a huge hit.

We do not not know what his labor rate is? If he uses a Alldata, Hemi plugs pay 2.2 hrs. List on Mopar plugs is almost $25/plug. Is he rolling a fuel treatment into the spark plugs(common practice)? Remember when people say they can get parts for xx amount, they are not running a business and would not sell the parts for cost if they did run a business. My dealers cost on NGK laser iridium spark plugs from our local parts store is around $9(yes I know there are cheaper places).

Did you have any drivability concerns for him to say you needed plugs? If none, then he is full of it. Is he pulling the covers or just draining and filling the diffs?

We do not not know what his labor rate is? If he uses a Alldata, Hemi plugs pay 2.2 hrs. List on Mopar plugs is almost $25/plug. Is he rolling a fuel treatment into the spark plugs(common practice)? Remember when people say they can get parts for xx amount, they are not running a business and would not sell the parts for cost if they did run a business. My dealers cost on NGK laser iridium spark plugs from our local parts store is around $9(yes I know there are cheaper places).

Did you have any drivability concerns for him to say you needed plugs? If none, then he is full of it. Is he pulling the covers or just draining and filling the diffs?
Right, I wouldn't expect a shop to sell parts at cost. But a shop isn't (or shouldn't be) paying retail price either. $9 a plug comes out to $144, so $740 in labor. $25 a plug is $550 which is absolutely insane, then $300 in labor. Any way you slice it she's getting ripped off.

Right, I wouldn't expect a shop to sell parts at cost. But a shop isn't (or shouldn't be) paying retail price either. $9 a plug comes out to $144, so $740 in labor. $25 a plug is $550 which is absolutely insane, then $300 in labor. Any way you slice it she's getting ripped off.
They got them from Napa $27.99 each 😕

You are spitballing numbers for them to work for you. Did I ever say she was or wasn't getting ripped off?

Do you go out to eat?

I like to maintain vehicles and don t see a big problem with plugs at 70K, although certainly not needed beyond certainty .
My only issue here are the charge for your plugs and especially the labor.
I d tell them skip the plugs, you don t have the money right now and then just do them a year or so from now.
Hey I know guys that have gotten over 100K on trucks and never touched any of those fluids you mention or plugs.
post the plug pictures. How's the truck running, fuel mileage OK?

I like to maintain vehicles and don t see a big problem with plugs at 70K, although certainly not needed beyond certainty .
I d tell them skip the plugs, you don t have the money right now and then just do them a year or so from now.
Hey I know guys that have gotten over 100K on trucks and never touched any of those fluids you mention or plugs.

Yes, started fine, ran fine. Here is a picture of the plug her sent me and here is the work order with pricing. You should be able to zoom in

Attachments

• Screenshot_20241003_111431_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20241003_111431_Chrome.jpg
    78.7 KB · Views: 3
I think you got about all the info
here that you ll get. Really up to you as no one knows your finances and your relationship with the mechanic. I d be honest about the plugs being too expensive right now and see if he works with you or tells you that they be fine a little longer. Then you decide how it fits into your life plans. Let us know the ending.

I don't see the carbon tracking or a cracked. If it is it definitely needs the boots, at minimum on the carbon tracked plugs. Now the estimate is making more sense. If you didn't have any issues put it back together and save your money for when it needs to get done.

Maintenance is definitely cheaper than repairs in the long run. Doing the fluids now if you can, do the plugs at a later time. Coolant could wait also.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back