5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

20 ram 2500 Cummins at the dealer for warranty work for 18 weeks and counting

Traviswap

Reaction score
I have a 20 Ram 2500 mega longhorn Cummins (zero mods) with 59k miles that has been at the dealership for 18 weeks and counting. I have been servicing the truck every 10k miles. At 50k miles, I changed the oil and fuel filters and noticed after the service that the truck was running rough at low speeds. It would stutter/miss while accelerating very slowly under 15mph. I also heard a new sound like purring/rapid knocking from under the hood. The sound was coming from the injection pump and I knew the pump was under recall so I brought the truck to the local ram dealership the next day. They replaced the injection pump only and gave me the truck back about a week later. The purring/knocking sound from the injection pump was gone now but the truck was still stuttering/missing while accelerating very slowly at speeds under 15mph. I brought the truck back to them the next day and they kept it for a week and said they don’t know what’s wrong with it. They opened a star case and they would call me if they got more information. They never called me back. It seemed like there was air getting into the fuel system to me so I purchased both new Mopar fuel filter housings that come with fuel filters in them and installed them myself and that didn’t fix the problem. At this point, I figured I would just drive the truck until it threw a check engine light or broke down. I drove the truck for 8k miles like this and it never threw a check engine light. The truck drives fine over 15mph. The stutter miss at slow speeds didn’t get any better or worse. It does it more when the engine is cold then after you drive it for a long time. I took the truck to a second dealership at 59k miles for them to diagnose the issue. They changed the injectors and flushed the fuel lines and told me it was fixed. I went to pick it up and it was still doing the same thing so I gave it back to them. Then they said they were going to perform the “entire recall” which included changing every part in the fuel system from what I was told. It took a couple weeks for parts to arrive and then they installed them and that didn’t fix the problem either. Then they had a star mechanic come look at the truck and he told them the voltage dropped while the truck was acting up and needed new batteries. $700 worth of batteries that they had me pay for and the truck is still doing the same thing. They have sent lots of “flight recordings” to Chrysler and they still have no clue what the problem is. This has been going on for 18 weeks so far. I have talked to Chrysler and they are unwilling to compensate me in any way other than trying to fix the problem. At this point, I am doubtful that they will be able to fix the problem. No one knows how to fix it. Hopefully someone has experienced this problem and can tell me how to fix it since the two dealerships I have taken it to can’t.

Users who are viewing this thread