5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2 Week Old Truck -- UGH!!

Ahole4sure

Reaction score
I have brand new (2 weeks) custom ordered 2023 Ram Longhorn 1500.
The pleasures of WV driving - had a deer run across back road - swerved to miss (fortunatly missed the deer) and the right passenger side tires ran off the road into a ditch at approx 45 mph. Came back on to road with rear tire TPM stating 21 lbs , the right side lane departure stuck on, and the truck feeling like an axle was broke or something. I thought by the sound I had totalled the truck.
Pulled over and no obvous body damage and the rear tire did not appear delflated. Dealership forunately less than 5 mile away. When all said and done there was mud caked in the rims - AND weirdly the right rear tire had apparently come off the rim long enough to fill the tire (on the rim) with rocks and mud.
They cleaned the tire / rim. Remounted and balanced and checked alignment, Supposedly they found nothing else. Drive home seemed ok so far as far as smoothness etc.

As I started closely inspecting and washing my truck I found that both the front and rear rims are damaged (see photos) --- any suggestions for getting rid of the scratches ??
Or will I just have to embrace the wear - ughhh?

Attachments

• IMG_0349.jpeg
    IMG_0349.jpeg
    216.3 KB · Views: 208
  • IMG_0348.jpeg
    IMG_0348.jpeg
    164.3 KB · Views: 203
  • IMG_0347.jpeg
    IMG_0347.jpeg
    141.9 KB · Views: 198
  • IMG_0346.jpeg
    IMG_0346.jpeg
    150.4 KB · Views: 197
  • IMG_0345.jpeg
    IMG_0345.jpeg
    142.6 KB · Views: 204
The pleasures of WV driving - had a deer run across back road - swerved to miss (fortunatly missed the deer) and the right passenger side tires ran off the road into a ditch at approx 45 mph. Came back on to road with rear tire TPM stating 21 lbs , the right side lane departure stuck on, and the truck feeling like an axle was broke or something. I thought by the sound I had totalled the truck.
Pulled over and no obvous body damage and the rear tire did not appear delflated. Dealership forunately less than 5 mile away. When all said and done there was mud caked in the rims - AND weirdly the right rear tire had apparently come off the rim long enough to fill the tire (on the rim) with rocks and mud.
They cleaned the tire / rim. Remounted and balanced and checked alignment, Supposedly they found nothing else. Drive home seemed ok so far as far as smoothness etc.

As I started closely inspecting and washing my truck I found that both the front and rear rims are damaged (see photos) --- any suggestions for getting rid of the scratches ??
Those are Limited wheels, but you have a Longhorn?

Maybe those wheels were already damaged before the accident? Dealer swapped your wheels without you knowing?

Isn't the gray part just painted ?? So sanding it probably isn't good right ??
I’m 99.9% sure the wheels are painted and cleared so with a little scuff with low abrasion and a polish you can hide SOME of the scratches but not all of them. Some are too deep, the only real fix would be having them powder coated or painted.

Yeah, you ordered it that way, won’t be the last time, embrace the scuffage.:ROFLMAO:

As said above, all factory wheels by all large manufacturers are clear coated, so obviously no sanding, unless you’re totally refinishing the wheels.

Yeah, you ordered it that way, won’t be the last time, embrace the scuffage.:ROFLMAO:

As said above, all factory wheels by all large manufacturers are clear coated, so obviously no sanding, unless you’re totally refinishing the wheels.
U can sand clear just wet and lightly following by a cut and polish

Maybe those wheels were already damaged before the accident? Dealer swapped your wheels without you knowing?
Would be nice if true —- yeah I ordered them that way. They acted like I was asking for a Mona Lisa or something

Unless I'm mistaken, the 20" wheels on each limited and longhorn are different but the 22" are the same.

It sucks, but its your first battle scars and the others won't hurt as much as they happen. My first was in a parking lot after 3 months of ownership, some half wit pushed a grocery buggy into the side of my door leaving a visible dent (but no paint damage). I was furious of course but these things happen. Still haven't fixed it because I'll just get another dent as I drive through tight quarters in campgrounds or at the dump or hardware store loading lumber or supplies etc.

It sucks, but its your first battle scars and the others won't hurt as much as they happen. My first was in a parking lot after 3 months of ownership, some half wit pushed a grocery buggy into the side of my door leaving a visible dent (but no paint damage). I was furious of course but these things happen. Still haven't fixed it because I'll just get another dent as I drive through tight quarters in campgrounds or at the dump or hardware store loading lumber or supplies etc.
I just got my truck a week ago. A used 2020 Longhorn with 55K. It has more scratches and a few more dings then I'd like. But I also have to just remind myself that it's a truck! It's a luxury truck but if something bothers me like that I can always just say, hey it's a truck and gets used for truck stuff. Dents and scratches are gonna happen! That said, I'd def try polishing compound on those wheels to see if those scratches just don't just buff out.

I just got my truck a week ago. A used 2020 Longhorn with 55K. It has more scratches and a few more dings then I'd like. But I also have to just remind myself that it's a truck! It's a luxury truck but if something bothers me like that I can always just say, hey it's a truck and gets used for truck stuff. Dents and scratches are gonna happen! That said, I'd def try polishing compound on those wheels to see if those scratches just don't just buff out.

For sure, I haven't fixed my dent because it has multiple "levels" to it (for lack of a better term), some simple dents you can just put a suction cup on them and try to gently pull it out but the body guy I talked to said that wouldn't work for this dent.

It's a good thing a friend of mine has a paintless dent repair business. 2022 truck, 13k miles & he has pushed out 2 door dings, 1 quarter size dent at the top of the tailgate right at the plastic cap, (sorta my fault) & pushed out 1 dent (baseball size but not real deep) on the passenger front fender. Fender dent required a good buffing out with tender loving care then a complete wax of the truck. As I mentioned it is paintless dent repair. If the dent has a scratch/crack through the clear coat & paint he will refer you to a body shop. I know your issue is with the rims but I tell this as others have said, there will be more.
He will work for beer!

Easy fix, you can polish some or all of that out, I've done it twice now. You need an 2" pneumatic or electric angle grinder

Before
20220119_143136-jpg.122517

20220306_180025-jpg.122515
20220306_180034-jpg.122514

Rashed one avoiding an idiot driving in the middle of the road
Sanded it down and now only need to polish it

20230420_175237-jpg.156988

Air grinder
Bought this during Black Friday to use on my wrought iron fence but it'll be useful on the wheels too.

milwaukee-die-grinders-2485-20-44_600.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back