5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2" level kit installation help

Jeremybj

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I purchased a Rough Country 2 inch leveling kit for my 2019 Ram Laramie.

I've been reviewing the instructions and had a question about disassembling the strut. According to the directions the strut needs to be compressed and disassembled so the spacer can be installed in the strut assembly. The spacer is about an inch thick. Is that a problem compressing the spring that much to get additional 1" of clearance in the strut assembly or is it pretty easy to do with the cheap spring compressors that can be rented from the auto store?

Any advice would be great. I'm planning on tackling this job next weekend.

Jeremy

XDBrad

Reaction score
I haven’t installed them on my Ram yet but have on several other vehicles. I have a cheap set of compressors from auto zone and they’ve yet to fail me. Go slow and a turn or so on each side at a time both compressing and expanding.

ET32913

Reaction score
I haven’t installed them on my Ram yet but have on several other vehicles. I have a cheap set of compressors from auto zone and they’ve yet to fail me. Go slow and a turn or so on each side at a time both compressing and expanding.

That's what I used. I installed the Rough Country leveling kit on my '19 Bighorn last week and I rented the strut compressor kit from my local O'Reillys. I did 5-10 turns on each side until I had enough clearance to install the spacer. Go slow and be sure to lubricate the threads on the strut compressor screws. Try to keep equal spacing on each side of the spring. An 18mm offset box end wrench and 8mm wrench will help you take off the strut top.

Dietz5285

Reaction score
I do not understand why you need a leveling kit, could you please explain you thinking on this.

ET32913

Reaction score
I do not understand why you need a leveling kit, could you please explain you thinking on this.

A leveling kit removes the “raked” look of a stock truck. It raises the front end of the truck to the same height as the rear. It allows you to run a larger tire as well.

Users who are viewing this thread