5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

2/4 Drop and Running boards

Alini

Reaction score
I have a new 2022 Ram 1500 2WD. I hate the ride height and how tall the bed is. Loading my equipment for events is a pain. I would like to do a 2/4 Drop, but I dealer installed running boards, that I need for my wife to get into the truck. If I do the 2/4 drop is that enough to not need them. Im afraid it will be too low at the point for the running boards but too high for her to get in easily. Shes 5'2" and 63 years old....so us old folks like the step Ive searched for pics and only found a few that have the running boards installed.
Or do I got with the 2 inch rear level kit and call it a day

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
You will be fine with the running boards on a 2/4 drop.

Rock Crawler

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I have the factory retractable running boards with a 2/4 drop. They don’t hit the ground when deployed, but they are only a few inches from the ground. If you have the non-retractable running boards, watch out if you park against a curb because you might damage them.

TittoPollito

Reaction score
IMG_9105.JPEG
I have a 4/6 drop on mine w/ running boards. My wife is 5' 4" on a good day, while she can get in without them it makes it just a bit easier on her bulging disc when its flairing up to have them there

TittoPollito

Reaction score
Who makes your drop? Any issues with it?
It is an IHC 4/6, they don't seem to have a 4/6 anymore (may just be out of stock) but if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't go that low. It is not one big problem but several small things that make living with it daily kind of a pain in the back side. In the last 30 years every vehicle but one (2004 3500 Ram) have been lowered either static or with air ride and the only other one to give me this many small issues to the point of regret was my '66 VW Bug.

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It is an IHC 4/6, they don't seem to have a 4/6 anymore (may just be out of stock) but if I had it to do all over again I wouldn't go that low. It is not one big problem but several small things that make living with it daily kind of a pain in the back side. In the last 30 years every vehicle but one (2004 3500 Ram) have been lowered either static or with air ride and the only other one to give me this many small issues to the point of regret was my '66 VW Bug.

Thank you for the information. I'm thinking of a 2/4.

Users who are viewing this thread