5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1st RAM and 1st time 1/2 ton owner

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Found this forum during a sudden search for a new truck, so had to join.

since 1998 have owned trucks but always smaller trucks. 1998 Ford Ranger which we owned for 10 years and over 200k miles. Then a 2009 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport which we also owned for 10 years and over 200k miles. Then a 2021 Tacoma TRD Sport.

have used all of the trucks to get us around and tow my CRX to tracks on the weekend. Only pic I have of the Taco pulling the CRX, a bit over loaded as I was hauling another engine and trans to do a swap.

Untitled by Victor M, on Flickr

Trucks never had issue pulling the car on this 14x6.5 steel trailer. Recently decided it was time to upgrade my towing and track experience. Purchased a 16x7.5 1910lb all aluminum enclosed trailer so I can start hauling to tracks further away and have shade when I’m at the track. Picked it up 130 miles from our house and expected MPG to be lower than the 23.5mpg we got on the way to get it. On the drive back got 9.5mpg 😵! Wife came with me and we were both a bit worried by this. She asked the question that was running through my mind, what happens when you put the CRX and other track gear in it? CRX is only 2030 lbs, but if the Taco got 9.5mpg with the trailer empty when it’s pulling a total of 4200lbs it’s only going to get worse.

So we both decided this isn’t going to work. In-laws have a 2019 RAM Rebel and love it. Based on the 2025 upgrades I knew I wanted a 2024 with the 5.7L. Two weeks later we are now owners of what is the largest vehicle we have ever owned but also the nicest. This this is nicer than the Audi S4 I owned a few years ago. Have to say we are loving the lighter color interior with the vented seats. Gets very hot here in Phoenix!

think this is going to serve us well

Last edited:

Nascar Tommy

My other Ram is a Dodge.
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Welcome, Good Luck! They are kind of finicky sometimes but there is really good info here if you have a problem...
usually.

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Thanks guys. Getting a new vehicle is like getting a new house, there’s all those things that you did to that last one you have to do again.

Here is my list as of right now.
- Next week clear bra nose, tint top of windshield and ceramic coat
- BakFlip MX4, really liked the on I had on the Tacoma
- Bedrug, truck has spray in liner already
- Weather tech mud flaps, still find it odd these don’t come on a Limited

Willwork4truck

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Nice truck, best of luck.
Your gas mileage while towing may be 8 - 10 but not likely any higher.
The softer coils may squat a lot so you might look at some aftermarket rear suspension aids and/or a WD hitch. Remember to check your yellow payload sticker on the drivers door pillar and adjust the tire pressures for your P-rated tires, if it has those.
Any suspension add-ons don't increase the payload or anything else, they just help take out the squat.
Refer to the forum towing threads and you will get all kinds of leveling up information for your 1500.

Kiwiaudio

Reaction score
Welcome, you have good taste :)
You didnt choose the best model for towing and loading up though. Payload on our Limiteds is not great at all !
Search the site for Limited payload. You may be disappointed !

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Willworkfortruck, I have the air ride suspension so I thought that would level the truck so I wouldn’t need airlift or sumos. You Are right lots of great info in the towing forum. i have seen a lot of videos and posts that 9-10 seems to be common on the lighter camper trailers. Can’t overcome the air pushing against the trailer just kills mpg.

Kiwiaudio, compromise had to be made with the limited availability of 2024s in our area and it’s our daily so we didn’t want to go backwards on some creature comforts. Everything I read on this site and others, is this will have no issue pulling less than 4500lbs, especially with the 3.92 gears.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Willworkfortruck, I have the air ride suspension so I thought that would level the truck so I wouldn’t need airlift or sumos. You Are right lots of great info in the towing forum. i have seen a lot of videos and posts that 9-10 seems to be common on the lighter camper trailers. Can’t overcome the air pushing against the trailer just kills mpg.

Kiwiaudio, compromise had to be made with the limited availability of 2024s in our area and it’s our daily so we didn’t want to go backwards on some creature comforts. Everything I read on this site and others, is this will have no issue pulling less than 4500lbs, especially with the 3.92 gears.
Check your payload… here’s my Limited 2023 sticker: 1370 lbs plus I’ve added the trifold cover. Anything you add to your truck subtracts from the payload.
IMG_3606.jpeg

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Mine says 1297. I’m adding a MX4 trifold and based on info it’s about 65lbs, so that puts me at 1232. Minus me 185, leaves me 1047.

so trailer will be about 4200lbs loaded, meaning about 420lbs of tongue weight leaving 627lbs.

unless I’m missing something looks like I should be okay and far better than I was with my Tacoma.

Willwork4truck

Reaction score
Your WDH and receiver need to be added also. (I'm not the weight police, just mentioning it.)

Wife, kids, dogs etc... You will be close. If your spouse packs like mine did, you'd need a dually 3500.

Load it up, with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fresh water and full of propane, then go to a CAT scale and get it weighed.

TT makers dry weights vary, some are close, some not. Your loaded weight also is normally 12-13% for a tongue weight so don't assume just 420# off payload. It all keeps creeping up.

CSPCRX

Reaction score
Your WDH and receiver need to be added also. (I'm not the weight police, just mentioning it.)

Wife, kids, dogs etc... You will be close. If your spouse packs like mine did, you'd need a dually 3500.

Load it up, with maybe 1/4 to 1/2 tank of fresh water and full of propane, then go to a CAT scale and get it weighed.

TT makers dry weights vary, some are close, some not. Your loaded weight also is normally 12-13% for a tongue weight so don't assume just 420# off payload. It all keeps creeping up.

I think I see the confusion. I’m only ever hauling my cargo trailer, not an camper, that is pictured above.

totally follow you on adding in all the extras.

Users who are viewing this thread