5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

19 Laramie Delayed shift into Reverse gear on cold start, reluctance to shift into gears 2&3 once underway

leftoutside

Reaction score
Always garaged, never abused, mainly used for highway trips and driven like an old man; slow starts away from stoplights, long slow gradual braking, no towing. Really a garage queen and under driven. Just over 40k miles and suddenly been having some odd behavior...

Recently the truck will delay longer than usual shifting into reverse, then sometimes with a clunk. Once driving away, it seems not to want to shift into 2nd, 3rd gears, and sometimes has downshifted which causes the truck to shudder. It seems to hold the shift point longer, like a small car in sport mode or something. I didnt think transmission issues were part of the picture with the 5.7 setup, especially with only 40k on the clock.

Is this common? Will the dealer see this as a 5/60 powertrain warranty issue?

vincentw56

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to drive it harder. LOL. Anyway, it could be low on transmission fluid. I've had those issues on other vehicles when it is low. But these are sealed so unless it is leaking, then it could be a mechanical issue. It is definitely covered under powertrain.

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Sounds like you need to drive it harder. LOL. Anyway, it could be low on transmission fluid. I've had those issues on other vehicles when it is low. But these are sealed so unless it is leaking, then it could be a mechanical issue. It is definitely covered under powertrain.
It's not sealed, there just isn't a dip stick like the old days. You have to check it like an old manual. There is a plug you pull to check level.

Users who are viewing this thread