5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

1500 OEM LED Bed Lights Wiring

Jo35

Reaction score
I did some searching and it appears that everyone either wires the OEM bed lights up to the computer (the proper way), or they tap into the cargo light. I don't want them to come on when I open the doors/tailgate. I only want them on when I press the button on the light itself. My question is: Can I wire the OEM bed lights to the trailer harness for power only and then turn them on with the switch on the lights themselves?

Last edited:

taz2016

Reaction score
Yes, if you want to make it easier there is a wiring harness adapter available that plugs into the factory hitch harness so you don't have to cut into it. You will have to change the OEM switch though.
I decided to I wanted both functions so I tapped into the cargo lights, found a simple toggle switch on ebay that fit the OEM bed lights, and wired in all in. Switch on - bed lights come on when door or tailgate is opened. Switch off - bed lights stay off until I switch them on.

Jo35

Reaction score
Yes, if you want to make it easier there is a wiring harness adapter available that plugs into the factory hitch harness so you don't have to cut into it. You will have to change the OEM switch though.
I decided to I wanted both functions so I tapped into the cargo lights, found a simple toggle switch on ebay that fit the OEM bed lights, and wired in all in. Switch on - bed lights come on when door or tailgate is opened. Switch off - bed lights stay off until I switch them on.
Can you take pics and link the items you purchased to make it work (switch and harness?)

newramman

Reaction score
I used the Curt P/N 55384, tapped into the Aux (always hot) wire, used LED strips and installed switch in plastic cover for OEM Lights. Ran wires in loom above spare tire. Easy access to back of lights/wiring VIA removal of tail Lights. In review of other sites, It would appear that not all trucks have the Aux powered. Check with meter, mine was at 1 o'clock position on truck side.

Jo35

Reaction score
I used the Curt P/N 55384, tapped into the Aux (always hot) wire, used LED strips and installed switch in plastic cover for OEM Lights. Ran wires in loom above spare tire. Easy access to back of lights/wiring VIA removal of tail Lights. In review of other sites, It would appear that not all trucks have the Aux powered. Check with meter, mine was at 1 o'clock position on truck side.
Ah, okay. So you didn't use the OEM lights then. I'm wondering if you can buy the OEM lights and literally wire them to the trailer harness.

gHiDoRa

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Ah, okay. So you didn't use the OEM lights then. I'm wondering if you can buy the OEM lights and literally wire them to the trailer harness.

Yes, but ~$2xx vs ~$50 so it's up to you, there are alot thread about bed light, look it up and make your decision.

mikeru82

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yes, but ~$2xx vs ~$50 so it's up to you, there are alot thread about bed light, look it up and make your decision.
It's all in what you want. The OEM bed lights do a decent job of lighting up my bed, but they could be better. Many aftermarket kits do a better job of lighting things up and cost quite a bit less. For me it was keeping the OEM look as much as functionality, so I went with the Mopar kit. It wasn't anywhere near $200 though. I bought it for $125 shipped from BAM last year. Prices have increased since then though. Now the same kit is closer to $150 shipped.

I didn't try to wire them to the trailer harness, but it could do what you want it to do if there's a constant power wire. Most of the wire harness wouldn't be needed. It could have been much easier to install if I'd thought of that LOL. Took me several hours to run the wire harness in the stock location.

Jo35

Reaction score
It's all in what you want. The OEM bed lights do a decent job of lighting up my bed, but they could be better. Many aftermarket kits do a better job of lighting things up and cost quite a bit less. For me it was keeping the OEM look as much as functionality, so I went with the Mopar kit. It wasn't anywhere near $200 though. I bought it for $125 shipped from BAM last year. Prices have increased since then though. Now the same kit is closer to $150 shipped.

I didn't try to wire them to the trailer harness, but it could do what you want it to do if there's a constant power wire. Most of the wire harness wouldn't be needed. It could have been much easier to install if I'd thought of that LOL. Took me several hours to run the wire harness in the stock location.
Yeah but I want to use the buttons on the lights themselves. Not sure if they’d be functional still

Kingnothing

Reaction score
I was thinking about this to but then I saw this today . I kind of like this idea if you have a tonneau cover.

newramman

Reaction score

taz2016

Reaction score
Yes, you can wire OEM lights to the trailer harness.
If you are just wiring lights to the trailer harness or white/tan wire in the cab you don't need the factory harness. You can buy the OEM left light (with switch) online Mopar part # 68312567AB. The right side is #68312566AB. I paid $60.35 shipped for both from Mopar Wholesale Parts last year. You will need to change the OEM switch to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SupportTM-Round-Rocker-Toggle-Switch/dp/B01BWK1WPS
If you are comfortable with wiring, creating your own harness is fairly easy.

Jo35

Reaction score
Yes, you can wire OEM lights to the trailer harness.
If you are just wiring lights to the trailer harness or white/tan wire in the cab you don't need the factory harness. You can buy the OEM left light (with switch) online Mopar part # 68312567AB. The right side is #68312566AB. I paid $60.35 shipped for both from Mopar Wholesale Parts last year. You will need to change the OEM switch to something like this: https://www.amazon.com/SupportTM-Round-Rocker-Toggle-Switch/dp/B01BWK1WPS
If you are comfortable with wiring, creating your own harness is fairly easy.
When you say changing the OEM switch, do you literally mean swapping out that rubber button on the light itself? Or are you just adding a switch between the lights and the harness

taz2016

Reaction score
When you say changing the OEM switch, do you literally mean swapping out that rubber button on the light itself? Or are you just adding a switch between the lights and the harness
Yes, the "rubber button" is a switch. If you are hard wiring the lights to a power source you will need to replace it with a simple on-off switch. The replacement I posted will fit in the OEM light. If I remember right I had to do a little filing to make it fit.

If you have a tonneau cover and need light in the bed the OEM do work. They are adequate for my purposes and I like the look and function of the OEM lights, but most of the aftermarket suggestions I have seen posted light up the bed better.

Last edited:

Jo35

Reaction score
Yes, the "rubber button" is a switch. If you are hard wiring the lights to a power source you will need to replace it with a simple on-off switch. The replacement I posted will fit in the OEM light. If I remember right I had to do a little filing to make it fit.

If you have a tonneau cover and need light in the bed the OEM do work. They are adequate for my purposes and I like the look and function of the OEM lights, but most of the aftermarket suggestions I have seen posted light up the bed better.
Cool! I’d love to see a picture if you have one with the switch installed.

Users who are viewing this thread

Site Vendors

https://www.jasonlewisautomotive.com/