5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Uconnect media and radio problems in EUROPE

SwissDave

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for information from other owners having a 2019 Ram with the 12 inch Uconnect system modified for Europe. At least I think it is modified. Not sure. It has European navigation and you can choose from about a dozen languages or so for both written and audio parts of the system.

Anyways, I have a series of issues:
-USB ports nearly never working for media playback
-USB ports not working for charging (keeps cutting power, so it risks ruining the phone's battery, besides not charging
-normal functions of the FM RDS system not available: it displays the name of the station and the radiotext alright, but it does not change frequency (AF alternative frequency function), it does not have TA traffic announcements
-vocal command volume always to 15 on powerup, regardless of setting in menu
-ECO not displayed, regardless of setting

Thanks

chrisfuss

Reaction score
Hi all, I am looking for information from other owners having a 2019 Ram with the 12 inch Uconnect system modified for Europe. At least I think it is modified. Not sure. It has European navigation and you can choose from about a dozen languages or so for both written and audio parts of the system.

Anyways, I have a series of issues:
-USB ports nearly never working for media playback
-USB ports not working for charging (keeps cutting power, so it risks ruining the phone's battery, besides not charging
-normal functions of the FM RDS system not available: it displays the name of the station and the radiotext alright, but it does not change frequency (AF alternative frequency function), it does not have TA traffic announcements
-vocal command volume always to 15 on powerup, regardless of setting in menu
-ECO not displayed, regardless of setting

Thanks

The 12” nave doesn’t work properly in the US modifying usually makes things worse rather than better so don’t expect those problems ever to be solved

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SwissDave

Reaction score
Update: went to a dealership. They will replace the USB receptables eventually. But it's gonna take several weeks, the parts not being available right now.

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Update: went to a dealership. They will replace the USB receptables eventually. But it's gonna take several weeks, the parts not being available right now.
I highly recommend disconnecting the negative battery cable for 15 minutes, reconnect it and let the truck sit for 30 minutes to allow all systems to initialize on their own...do not start, do not play with the electronics, just let it sit for 30 minutes. After 30 minutes have elapsed, start the truck, check that all systems are up and running, and see if it resolves your USB issue. It did on mine.

AartWessels

Reaction score
I don't use all of the functiolaities described in the opening post, but I recognize some. For me, RDS functionality is limited as well, although I'm not aware of it is supposed to work, plus I hardly ever use the radio.
The eco indicator doesn't work for me either. Not sure if that is related to the uConnect though. It might be that this has been disabled when they installed my LPG system.
As to the USB ports, I had a similar experience, although with the proper cable, my iPhone charges fine in the front USB ports. My e-cigarette only properly charges when I use one of the rear-seat USB ports. So apparently there is a difference between te power available for the front USB ports compared to the rear USB ports. Not sure either if that is related to the uConnect system.

SwissDave

Reaction score
It might be that this has been disabled when they installed my LPG system.

No, I don't think so. 'Cause I do not have LPG. Only plain and simple gasoline.
But can you tell me what version of the software do you have and when your truck was purchased? Mine came to this country in April 2019. Thanks

Viking42

Reaction score
Hi,
Mine was imported, but not modified (i miss the EU navi, even if i know the inbuilt navi is supposed to be bad)

90% of the imported European RAM's have gone through following company to add the EU maps and EU RDS

as for USB ports, all Ram's have the issue, its all about having the best possible quality USB cable

HeliPilot

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Hi,
Mine was imported, but not modified (i miss the EU navi, even if i know the inbuilt navi is supposed to be bad)

90% of the imported European RAM's have gone through following company to add the EU maps and EU RDS

as for USB ports, all Ram's have the issue, its all about having the best possible quality USB cable
My USBs were doing this when I first purchased my truck, and which USB cable I used would not resolve the issue. Disconnecting the battery and rebooting the USB module solved the issue for over a year, and I’m still using the USB cables that would not originally work at all. So it’s not really the USB cable.

Users who are viewing this thread