5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

12" Alpine a 9 or 10 speaker system?

Rlandon

Reaction score
Just finished up replacing the oem Alpine speakers with JBL speakers in the dash and the 4 doors. What a difference however I thought Alpine was a 9 speaker system only? Why do I have a oem sub behind the passenger back seat? That makes 10. After reading all through the forums I thought I would check and sure enough there it is, wiring and all. If it's a true sub it sure isn't thumping like it should so I'd like to swap it with something else. Anyone know the specs of it?

Attachments

• 20210620_191311 (002).jpg
    20210620_191311 (002).jpg
    156.2 KB · Views: 25

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Alpine system is 9 speakers + sub = 10 total.
It's a 3-voice-coil subwoofer and a direct replacement is going to be very hard to find, and if you do find one, it's not going to make it any better.
You better off getting a processor and an aftermarket sub and amp...
I wanted more bass and i found the front door speakers to do the best job when upgrading(They are playing just low tones, just like the sub. they are supposed to produce about 70% of the bass to the front).
I put some Infinity primus speakers in the doors and the bass is a lot louder and tight! maybe you should try that before getting a sub setup.

Rlandon

Reaction score
Alpine system is 9 speakers + sub = 10 total.
It's a 3-voice-coil subwoofer and a direct replacement is going to be very hard to find, and if you do find one, it's not going to make it any better.
You better off getting a processor and an aftermarket sub and amp...
I wanted more bass and i found the front door speakers to do the best job when upgrading.
I put some Infinity primus speakers in the doors and the bass is a lot louder and tight! maybe you should try that before getting a sub setup.
Thanks, just making sure. The JBL's have good bass but not the same as a sub. I have an old JL HD900/5 amp still in the box that I could use for the doors and sub. But the Alpine is actually good enough for me with the upgraded 3.5 and 6x9 speakers. It needs a good sub. Crutchfield lists nothing for it and haven't seen anything in the forums for swapping it out. I'll try another search now to verify.

Sounds like we have the same truck for the most part.

MannymanX

5thGenRams Supporter
Reaction score
Thanks, just making sure. The JBL's have good bass but not the same as a sub. I have an old JL HD900/5 amp still in the box that I could use for the doors and sub. But the Alpine is actually good enough for me with the upgraded 3.5 and 6x9 speakers. It needs a good sub. Crutchfield lists nothing for it and haven't seen anything in the forums for swapping it out. I'll try another search now to verify.

Sounds like we have the same truck for the most part.
Check out this thread:
Post in thread 'Installing a subwoofer and amplifier with the alpine system' https://5thgenrams.com/community/th...fier-with-the-alpine-system.15627/post-469670

Users who are viewing this thread