5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Adding OEM sunroof/panoramic roof

rasko

Reaction score
I've searched the forums and found the post from 2022 about adding an aftermarket sunroof/panoramic roof. Lots of suggestions not to add it because they have to chop up your roof.

My truck was hailed on, just got the estimate done today and it appears to be getting a new roof. On the estimate, it lists "Roof panel w/o panoramic - $875", paint and install are extra obviously.

I don't have a sunroof currently but I am wondering if it is stupid to assume they could switch it out for a panoramic roof since they are already replacing it? The only things that I can think of that would have to change would be the few very obvious parts like the panel of switches that controls the back window (would need the panel that has sunroof control), and the headliner so it has the retractable cover?

Am I missing anything else?
Is this a waste of time?

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've searched the forums and found the post from 2022 about adding an aftermarket sunroof/panoramic roof. Lots of suggestions not to add it because they have to chop up your roof.

My truck was hailed on, just got the estimate done today and it appears to be getting a new roof. On the estimate, it lists "Roof panel w/o panoramic - $875", paint and install are extra obviously.

I don't have a sunroof currently but I am wondering if it is stupid to assume they could switch it out for a panoramic roof since they are already replacing it? The only things that I can think of that would have to change would be the few very obvious parts like the panel of switches that controls the back window (would need the panel that has sunroof control), and the headliner so it has the retractable cover?

Am I missing anything else?
Is this a waste of time?
I believe the bigger pano has an $1800 price tag. Might want to confirm that first, but I still wouldn't do it anyways if not OEM from factory.

rasko

Reaction score
I believe the bigger pano has an $1800 price tag. Might want to confirm that first, but I still wouldn't do it anyways if not OEM from factory.
I would only do OEM, since the fitment should be very close/perfect. I would also offer to pay the difference in roofs and any extra labor/charges that come from it. Was just trying to see if I was thinking crazy or if I am onto something.. haha.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I would only do OEM, since the fitment should be very close/perfect. I would also offer to pay the difference in roofs and any extra labor/charges that come from it. Was just trying to see if I was thinking crazy or if I am onto something.. haha.
No, I meant OEM as in it came from factory already installed.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Gotcha! Misunderstood this the first time around. 😁
I would stick with solid roof and put the extra into other upgrades you might want. I don't even open mine or the rear window. Forget I have and left the rear open a few times overnight :oops::oops: 😂

rasko

Reaction score
I would stick with solid roof and put the extra into other upgrades you might want. I don't even open mine or the rear window. Forget I have and left the rear open a few times overnight :oops::oops: 😂
I wanted a panoramic, but there were none around the time I bought mine and this truck had every other option I wanted. 33 gallon tank, off road package, 3.92 gears, big nav screen, it's only missing the panoramic and I thought this might be the perfect time to add it but just wanted to see if it was even possible lol!

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wanted a panoramic, but there were none around the time I bought mine and this truck had every other option I wanted. 33 gallon tank, off road package, 3.92 gears, big nav screen, it's only missing the panoramic and I thought this might be the perfect time to add it but just wanted to see if it was even possible lol!
Almost anything is possible with an open wallet 😂 😂

themust

Reaction score
Here in Cali, the Pano roof was the first search criterion I hit when searching for my present 2021 Limited. The old '19 Laramie didn't have it, all prior adult-era cars had one. Wouldn't be without one. So I'm going to vote with the Trade It In crowd since I once looked into retrofitting my old Laramie and there were way too many variables and potential snags to make that leap. Personal preference. Good luck.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
It's far more work than just swapping the roof skin. The trucks that have factory sunroof have additional bracing for structural integrity, the entire sunroof mechanism, new headliner, wire harness, new overhead console............

rasko

Reaction score
Here in Cali, the Pano roof was the first search criterion I hit when searching for my present 2021 Limited. The old '19 Laramie didn't have it, all prior adult-era cars had one. Wouldn't be without one. So I'm going to vote with the Trade It In crowd since I once looked into retrofitting my old Laramie and there were way too many variables and potential snags to make that leap. Personal preference. Good luck.
I tried to find one but when I was looking, there were no flame red trucks with a panoramic within 250 or 500 miles so I settled getting one without it. I'm fine without it, I was just kind of seeing if anyone else had tried before aside from the old post from 2022.

It's far more work than just swapping the roof skin. The trucks that have factory sunroof have additional bracing for structural integrity, the entire sunroof mechanism, new headliner, wire harness, new overhead console............
I think the link posted earlier included all of that. Could be wrong though.. I am not going to do it as the potential headache of having issues is not worth it to me.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I tried to find one but when I was looking, there were no flame red trucks with a panoramic within 250 or 500 miles so I settled getting one without it. I'm fine without it, I was just kind of seeing if anyone else had tried before aside from the old post from 2022.

I think the link posted earlier included all of that. Could be wrong though.. I am not going to do it as the potential headache of having issues is not worth it to me.
It was a breakdown of the parts, but that was for replacement parts for a truck that already had pano sunroof. Not for adding it to a truck that never had it.

themust

Reaction score
Exactly!

rasko

Reaction score
It was a breakdown of the parts, but that was for replacement parts for a truck that already had pano sunroof. Not for adding it to a truck that never had it.
Oh I know. The bulk of it was there though. There was a video posted on how it's done. It's a lot more to it then just swapping parts, I would actually say it's more of a custom fabrication job after seeing the video. I just wasn't sure if anyone has ever had their roof liner out, or the skin off and thought there might be potential cutouts or mounting points already on the frame for the pano option. 😁 Or if anyone said F it and just sent it and did the change/cut out.

I let the intrusive thoughts get to me and posted. Lol.
Definitely not going to be chopping my roof apart, or paying anyone to do it.

Users who are viewing this thread