5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Electrical Short?

834k3r

Reaction score
Had my truck in the shop to replace two exhaust pipe flange bolts that had rusted and snapped (yep, it happened to me too). Driving it back to work from the shop, the Uconnect screen shut off, and the Driver Information Screen (between the tach and speedo) started rapidly flashing between digital speedo and "Cargo Bed 115V Outlet is On". Simultaneously, the front (both sides) power windows would not work, and the defroster was on (though the fan was not high). Now, when I start the truck, the Uconnect screen will boot up to the "Accept" screen, then shut off--at the same time the Driver Info Screen says "Blind Spot Sensor Unavailable. Service Required".

I saw a black/red wire pair near the exhaust when I was investigating the exhaust pipe flange; is it possible the shop nicked the wire and caused a short?
Anyone else have or hear of something similar?

6of36

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Had my truck in the shop to replace two exhaust pipe flange bolts that had rusted and snapped (yep, it happened to me too). Driving it back to work from the shop, the Uconnect screen shut off, and the Driver Information Screen (between the tach and speedo) started rapidly flashing between digital speedo and "Cargo Bed 115V Outlet is On". Simultaneously, the front (both sides) power windows would not work, and the defroster was on (though the fan was not high). Now, when I start the truck, the Uconnect screen will boot up to the "Accept" screen, then shut off--at the same time the Driver Info Screen says "Blind Spot Sensor Unavailable. Service Required".

I saw a black/red wire pair near the exhaust when I was investigating the exhaust pipe flange; is it possible the shop nicked the wire and caused a short?
Anyone else have or hear of something similar?
I sort of doubt it. If things that are malfunctioning are all in front of that area, it's highly unlikely. The wires for the bed power, run down the opposite side. More than likely a coincidence. But anything is possible. Look again, and see if there is damage.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I think it's unlikely a single wire will affect all those systems and a short will normally blow a fuse.

I've learned the 5th gen trucks are very glitchy and often sensitive to any change such as having the battery disconnected. I think odds are high the systems will work fine in a few days.

834k3r

Reaction score
I think it's unlikely a single wire will affect all those systems and a short will normally blow a fuse.

I've learned the 5th gen trucks are very glitchy and often sensitive to any change such as having the battery disconnected. I think odds are high the systems will work fine in a few days.
I wouldn't have thought the tech would've disconnected the battery in the course of removing rusted bolts. Honest question: is disconnecting the battery part of the process?

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I wouldn't have thought the tech would've disconnected the battery in the course of removing rusted bolts. Honest question: is disconnecting the battery part of the process?

Depends on where the bolts were located and what they had to do to access them.

834k3r

Reaction score
Solved.

Shop noticed water had gotten into my LR tail light LED assembly (OEM). They disconnected the light, and everything works as designed. Plug it back in, the issues in the OP reappear.

Users who are viewing this thread