5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Anyone Install a Ham Radio or even CB/GMRS in their RAM? Have questions..

Luv2fly3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm preparing to install an Icom IC-7100 and Little Tarheel II antenna in my '22 RAM and had a few questions, hoping some that might have done this could help.

1. I have eTorque and am wondering what type of noise that might present for an HF radio vs a standard electrical system? Has anyone with eTorque put an HF radio into your truck? If so, what did you experience and what mitigation strategies did you employee to control it?

2. I am hoping to use the front stake pocket as a mounting point for my Tarheel and have been looking at the Breedlove stake pocket mounts. They offer a regular and short mount, which appears to be a difference in the length of the pocket. I haven't cut the top plastic cover on my truck yet to expose the stake pocket beneath and am wondering if anyone has a measurement of the pockets in the front, specifically the length and width?

3. When routing wires to the front or back from inside the cab, I'd love to know if there are existing holes that can be used to do so. I'm hoping there is a grommet or something from inside the cab under the back seat, where I can route my coax from my radio under the back seat, to the front stake pocket where I want to place my Tarheel antenna. And are there any good gromets in the firewall to route the power cable?

Finally, if anyone has done this, I'd love to see some install photos. I found one thread on here, but that was all.

Thanks!

hogger

Reaction score
Not sure about #1 and #2 . I have the non etorque and a shell on the bed. As for #3, there's a grommet under the carpet over the raised area under the back seat. I routed my coax through there. You kinda have to fish for it because it routes through the frame. I put the bulk coax and rear camera cable through some of split wire loom tubing to protect the coax from the edges, and then added the connector on after fishing. Don't have any pictures atm. I bought a couple extra grommets, so the split loom is run through a hole I drilled in the grommet. Keeps it nice and secure, and hopefully also helps keep dust out.

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone. I'm preparing to install an Icom IC-7100 and Little Tarheel II antenna in my '22 RAM and had a few questions, hoping some that might have done this could help.

1. I have eTorque and am wondering what type of noise that might present for an HF radio vs a standard electrical system? Has anyone with eTorque put an HF radio into your truck? If so, what did you experience and what mitigation strategies did you employee to control it?

2. I am hoping to use the front stake pocket as a mounting point for my Tarheel and have been looking at the Breedlove stake pocket mounts. They offer a regular and short mount, which appears to be a difference in the length of the pocket. I haven't cut the top plastic cover on my truck yet to expose the stake pocket beneath and am wondering if anyone has a measurement of the pockets in the front, specifically the length and width?

3. When routing wires to the front or back from inside the cab, I'd love to know if there are existing holes that can be used to do so. I'm hoping there is a grommet or something from inside the cab under the back seat, where I can route my coax from my radio under the back seat, to the front stake pocket where I want to place my Tarheel antenna. And are there any good gromets in the firewall to route the power cable?

Finally, if anyone has done this, I'd love to see some install photos. I found one thread on here, but that was all.

Thanks!
Can`t help regards to e-torque.

There are several posts about installing HAM radios and antennas, pretty sure most of them are in the "what did you do to your ram today" section.
A lot of pages...

I ran my coaxes for a GMRS and a CB thru a plastic grommet under the rear driver side carpet, then along the frame and up the inside of the bed/rear fender.
Mounted the antennas on the BUG rail. There is a convenient rubber grommet to the left of the steering shaft for running power.

Ended up with a Larsen 1/2 wave for the GMRS. VSWR is pretty good, no idea on the radiation pattern.
firewall grommet 1920.jpg UHF antennas.jpg

Last edited:

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score

Users who are viewing this thread