5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Bed Extender and Drilling into Bed

Mofawa

Reaction score
Hi everyone - long time reader but not a frequent poster. I did search everywhere I could before asking so I don’t get roasted. I just got an AMP bed extender and I have the truxedo lo pro cover so i needed to install the separate spacer kit. Question - I had to source longer screws to drill into the bed and I thought I was making a smart decision by getting stainless screws but I read somewhere that if the bed is aluminum, the stainless screw could cause corrosion. Is that true in our case? I know fords have the aluminum bed but I’ve read conflicting info for a 5th gen.

Also I want to coat the screws before attaching to prevent rust. I figure paint is just going to come off when I screw the bolt in. Was thinking of either using blue thread lock or can I wrap the screw in some Teflon tape to help seal the exposed metal?

2020 Ram 1500 with 5’ bed. Any wisdom is appreciated!

FM45

Reaction score
Not aluminum--
1500 ext bed.jpg Got the same extender -- you're good

-=FM45=-

Mofawa

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Much appreciated.

Hey with your extender do you have any trouble getting the straps to latch into each side of the tailgate? I’ve tried everything and can’t get either side to snap in.

Users who are viewing this thread