5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Power steering unavailable

Ontopofit

Reaction score
I was driving home today after picking up some sod and as I was almost home, power steering went out completely and had “power steering unavailable” message on the screen. Had to muscle it home. Got home and turned the truck off and immediately back on and it was still there…then off for a few minutes and it went away. I had an electrical meltdown post a few months back that I posted about that randomly happened and hasn’t happened again. This crap is getting old as it’s happening while I’m driving. It could easily cause a bad accident if I was driving on the interstate or making a turn at higher speed. The only thing I can really say that I did similarly to when I had the more severe electrical issue in November, is that I used the tailgate open button on my interior overhead buttons. I tested it by pressing the button again and then closing the tailgate and driving around the neighborhood to no avail. I’m assuming it’s an electrical issue but I really don’t know and I haven’t been able to find any loose connections or bad grounds. Frustrated to say the least. I was really hoping the issue in November was a freak thing and It was over. This is starting to concern me

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I was driving home today after picking up some sod and as I was almost home, power steering went out completely and had “power steering unavailable” message on the screen. Had to muscle it home. Got home and turned the truck off and immediately back on and it was still there…then off for a few minutes and it went away. I had an electrical meltdown post a few months back that I posted about that randomly happened and hasn’t happened again. This crap is getting old as it’s happening while I’m driving. It could easily cause a bad accident if I was driving on the interstate or making a turn at higher speed. The only thing I can really say that I did similarly to when I had the more severe electrical issue in November, is that I used the tailgate open button on my interior overhead buttons. I tested it by pressing the button again and then closing the tailgate and driving around the neighborhood to no avail. I’m assuming it’s an electrical issue but I really don’t know and I haven’t been able to find any loose connections or bad grounds. Frustrated to say the least. I was really hoping the issue in November was a freak thing and It was over. This is starting to concern me
There was a recall on the 2019 MY for a loose ground causing the PS to drop out.

Ontopofit

Reaction score
There was a recall on the 2019 MY for a loose ground causing the PS to drop out.
Yeah I was looking into that last night. Of course my vin doesn’t fall in that date range. I spent this afternoon searching for the grounds and tightening them. Nothing appeared loose

kapinallinen2

5thGenRams Supporter
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah I was looking into that last night. Of course my vin doesn’t fall in that date range. I spent this afternoon searching for the grounds and tightening them. Nothing appeared loose
I do recall seeing a post where someone, after battling with intermittent steering, ran an added ground cable from the EPS unit to the battery negative body ground.

Users who are viewing this thread