5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Rear 1.5" lift, New Bump Stops???

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Looks like Durosprings are the way to go. Added to my shopping cart. Lol.

And Amazon’s description includes Ram🤔

View attachment 180698
Yeah that's what also got me thinking about them, but since I knew JT coils fit, kind of figured the stops would be the same. I ordered since $8 off right now.

mplaramie

Reaction score
Yeah that's what also got me thinking about them, but since I knew JT coils fit, kind of figured the stops would be the same. I ordered since $8 off right now.
I just ordered mine as well. For under $50, why not give them a try.......

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Good call. Didn’t notice the coupon at first. Just ordered them as well. In the next few weeks, I plan on installing my Bilstein B12 coils and 5100’s. Might as well add Metalcloaks while I’m under there.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Report back when you do! I won't be doing mine until end of May/June guessing. I still have to buy tires and insurance renewal hits May 1st! :sick::sick:
ouch insurance renewal is gonna cost.

but anyone interested, JT rear axle parts will fit on our trucks. track bar, arms, etc.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
Just wanted to pop in here to offer my little bit of knowledge since I’ve been researching bump stops for a couple weeks.
I was talking with @boogielander recently and we were discussing how the Jeep gladiators use the same rear suspension as our trucks which is great for the aftermarket! More specifically, they actually use the 4th gen Ram suspension - which is nearly identical to ours except for the way the shocks mount and the 4th gen coils are an inch shorter from what I’ve heard. That being said: Gladiator rear control arms, track bar, coils, and bump stops are a direct fit on our trucks. The best bump stop options I found were Metalcloak (which I just installed on my truck a couple days ago), Teraflex, and Perry Parts. I’ve heard great reviews about Perry Parts unique 3D printed bump stops and I think they include a great warranty too; but I knew with my goals of going fast in the desert and hitting small whoops that I wanted something very reliable and robust and frankly I just wasn’t sure if the Perry Parts bumps were cut out for that stuff or if they were better suited for low speed Jeep rock crawling. The teraflex ones looked great but they at least look like extended versions of our stock foam ones (not sure if they are foam or not though - so don’t quote me). Frankly the yellow kinda threw me off too lol so I didn’t look at them too hard. Metalcloaks option seemed to be made out of a very durable material, they looked good, supposedly they’re a bit more progressive, and the design and material actually reminded me a bit of Thuren’s new boogiebumps offered on the HDs, and I’ll almost undoubtedly get Thuren’s boogie bumps once they’re available for the 1500s even though they carry a much higher price tag. I also bought Metalcloaks bump stop extensions - little hard rubber rectangle pucks. I haven’t installed them - and I’m not even sure if they’re a direct bolt on, because despite what Boogielander said (and I love ya Eric) the Gladiators and Rams actually don’t share the rear axle itself. So they may or may not be a direct fit - I’ll update when I find out. The reason I bought them is because I have the BDS rear 3” lift kit installed on my truck (the rear half of the BDS 4” kit), and BDS includes 3” longer bump stops. I’m eager to get as much suspension up-travel as possible so I bought the Metalcloak 1-2” kit in hopes of completely replacing the BDS 3” spacer. Plus the Metalcloak bump stops are actually 3/4” longer than our stock ones (I measured out of the box - not actually at full compression) so that makes me want shorter bump stop extensions even more. Unlike Boogielander I absolutely pounded on the rear bump stops last time I was in the desert even with the Fox 2.5s as firm as I could get them. My good friend with a 5th Gen ram actually cracked his entire rear diff while going through the whoops because it was blowing through the compression on his King 2.5s and hitting the bump stops so hard. He had to get towed home and buy a completely new rear axle. This is what made me feel like aftermarket bump stops are absolutely necessary - even though I highly doubt these $50 ones will make THAAAT big of a difference - it’ll at least help dissipate some energy from reaching the axle. If you’re only lifted 0-2” in the rear I highly doubt you’ll need bump stop extensions if you have Fox 2.5s or King 2.5s (not positive about the other options) - especially if you get bump stops that are a bit longer like most options on the market. Just make sure your tires won’t rip your bedsides off haha. The 36x13r18s on the truck that broke the axle was rubbing the lip of the wheel well and halfway popped off his Laramie fender flares. He was at stock height in the rear with King 2.5s. My 37x13.50r18s were probably about an inch away from rubbing at full stuff with 3” rear lift, 3” bump stop extensions, and Fox 2.5s. My tires have actually hit my bedside down lower by the body line once and it cracked my paint a little bit. So be cautious if any of you want 37s lol. Hope this helped. I’ll be making a YouTube video soon going over all this in even more depth and covering the front end too which also has some interesting quirks on our Rams. IMG_4789.jpeg

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Thanks for the great feedback. I'm sure the Metalcloak stops should be enough for me, unless those Mall parking lots or SH*Tcago streets get worse!! :ROFLMAO: :ROFLMAO:

mplaramie

Reaction score
So I ordered mine in Amazon yesturday. Metalcloak already called me, told me my order is being processed and if I had any questions. Nice customer service!

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Yup just got a call as well. It came up as Spam, so went to VM. Quality customer service!!

Redz72

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I was called as well. Wonder if it was the same guy! Lol. I did have a nice little convo with him too. Creat customer service for sure! I’ll def purchase more from MetalCloak.

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
metalcloak is legit.
almost every JL, JK, JT we build for customers utilize their game changer kit (aside from the few that use Fox 2.5 or 3.0 for higher speed desert runs)

thanks @SKT Customs for pointing things out for me lol (love ya too buddy!)
im not as invested as he is with all these and with ~600lb in the bed now im a bit more conservative about going full send these days (compared to when i have a way lighter setup with bed rack and 80lb RTT). i only go full send when it's 100% calculated and pre-ran by others lol other than that im shifting my attention to the "overlanding" aspect more especially with the 2 months trip coming up later this year.

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
I totally feel you not going full send with all that gear haha. One nice thing with all that extra weight is that if your coils and shocks are firm enough to handle it, you’d probably have less bucking in the rear than I do! Haha that’s a plus for sure

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I totally feel you not going full send with all that gear haha. One nice thing with all that extra weight is that if your coils and shocks are firm enough to handle it, you’d probably have less bucking in the rear than I do! Haha that’s a plus for sure
yeah i feel like that's the case with added weight...
UNTIL i let the skinny pedal go too hard and all that weight work against me lol

SKT Customs

5thGenRams Vendor
5thGenRams Vendor
Reaction score
what is the difference between these and the timbren SES kit?
The Timbren SES is specifically designed for heavy towing/heavy loads and are incredibly stiff. Essentially they make it to where your truck fully rides on the bump stops when hauling heavy loads so it doesn’t squat a ton. However for off road use it’s absolutely the opposite of what you’d want because it limits nearly all up travel and will cause harsh bottom outs on every bump. 👍🏼

PurpleRT

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I didn’t even dawn on me to change bumpstops when I went w/ B12 springs in the rear hmmm maybe I need to.

Users who are viewing this thread