5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Dumb question- 4 Auto

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good thread. I can see using 4 Auto more regularly now when I know I'm going to need that quick acceleration in situations that will especially challenge traction. I installed the Helwig 7709 anti-sway bar a few weeks ago and found that the inside rear wheel lost traction a lot more easily in hard acceleration involving turns and undulations. Leading, of course, to loud inadvertent tire squealing. (This is due to the more limited articulation of the axle with the bigger sway bar).
Anytime I need to jump out in traffic quickly, want to keep someone in other lane from trying to cut me off as their lane ends, or just want to play around, I switch to 4-auto.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Dodge has never called in posi-traction, that's a GM name for the same thing. Dodge has always been limited slip, untik recently when they started calling it anti-spin.

That being said, limited slip, anti-spin, posi, whatever you want to call it, in situations where there is a large difference in traction, such as one tire on solid pavement and one in gravel, if you punch the gas pedal, you will overcome the clutch friction, and only the tire with less traction will spin.
That's great, thanks for your input. And you're right. Problem here is that I never said anything about Dodge calling it posi. I said, and I quote: "Some used to call it posi-traction back in the day". I swear you just hover around like a vulture, looking for things to swoop in on and post a correction for something that needs no correction. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:

rick619

Reaction score
Also another fun fact: The Ram has 4Auto standard, available on the Big Horn, maybe the Tradesman too. With Ford, you can't get 4auto unless you get the Lariat (similar to the Laramie) or higher.

mikeru82

Legendary member
Reaction score
Also another fun fact: The Ram has 4Auto standard, available on the Big Horn, maybe the Tradesman too. With Ford, you can't get 4auto unless you get the Lariat (similar to the Laramie) or higher.
4 auto is standard on Laramie and up (optional on Rebel). You don't get 4 auto on the Tradesman.

Edit: Looks like I'm wrong about that. My apologies Rick.

Mountain Whiskey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Agree with this, it's one or the other. The rear locker is the more expensive option and better for off roading (if needed) and ice. Though as you may have noticed, it's not like a LS. LS is better for wet/gravel conditions. The locker is more extreme and shouldn't be used on dry pavement.

Jeeps are the same. Most have the LS, but a rear locker is an upgrade in some trim packages.
And if it is the same as a Jeep, the electric locker disengaged at 25mph. Kind of sucks if you are spinning up hill trying to dig down to pavement. This is the main reason I ditched the Rubicon and got my Ram. My old TJ with LSD would not give up, spinning like mad or slogging through the bogs. The clutches just work.

rick619

Reaction score
And if it is the same as a Jeep, the electric locker disengaged at 25mph. Kind of sucks if you are spinning up hill trying to dig down to pavement. This is the main reason I ditched the Rubicon and got my Ram. My old TJ with LSD would not give up, spinning like mad or slogging through the bogs. The clutches just work.
Yeah, that is annoying that the OEM switch shuts off at 25mph. Many will bypass that switch and just install another. I had it like that in my 2012. That was because it wasn't a Rubicon but I swapped in a Rubi front D44. Had to tell my wife to NEVER hit that switch on pavement. She turned on the locker once by accident and couldn't back out of a parking spot. Called me said the steering is broken. :ROFLMAO:

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
That's great, thanks for your input. And you're right. Problem here is that I never said anything about Dodge calling it posi. I said, and I quote: "Some used to call it posi-traction back in the day". I swear you just hover around like a vulture, looking for things to swoop in on and post a correction for something that needs no correction. :ROFLMAO:
:ROFLMAO::ROFLMAO:
We are on a Ram forum, we were talking about RAM differentials. Nice try with the attempt to save face.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
From my experience, if only the back wheels are spinning, even though speedometer might show 50mph, the locker stays engaged until front wheels are over 25mph. This was from lots of playing on the snow/rain with e-locker on

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
From my experience, if only the back wheels are spinning, even though speedometer might show 50mph, the locker stays engaged until front wheels are over 25mph. This was from lots of playing on the snow/rain with e-locker on
The front wheels have speed sensors? I would not have thought this.

Mountain Whiskey

Reaction score
How do you think the 4 wheel ABS works.
Good point. The Rubicon had lockers front and rear. I don't know what disengaged them, I thought it was speedometer reading alone. Like @rick6pointed out, there is the aftermarket ability to over ride the function. I have never had an issue with LSD though. They worked in my Rustang with an 8.8 rear and i abused them hard in Jeeps.

I thought it would be helpful in the snow to get up the steep road to my house having the option to manually lock front and rear. I was not impressed. When it stayed locked, it didn't steer well with the front locked making you break traction when it was starting to grip. Picking up speed to get momentum going and you would see the light blink out and the lockers turned off. Hitting the mountain spinning gave the same result. Maybe the front was spinning too fast too?

While spinning wheels to begin with is not ideal for snow traction, when fighting gravity it can be the only choice sometimes.

But none the less, I got a much roomier and comfortable Ram with limited slip and have not had a major snow to deal with yet! LOL!

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Good point. The Rubicon had lockers front and rear. I don't know what disengaged them, I thought it was speedometer reading alone. Like @rick6pointed out, there is the aftermarket ability to over ride the function. I have never had an issue with LSD though. They worked in my Rustang with an 8.8 rear and i abused them hard in Jeeps.

I thought it would be helpful in the snow to get up the steep road to my house having the option to manually lock front and rear. I was not impressed. When it stayed locked, it didn't steer well with the front locked making you break traction when it was starting to grip. Picking up speed to get momentum going and you would see the light blink out and the lockers turned off. Hitting the mountain spinning gave the same result. Maybe the front was spinning too fast too?

While spinning wheels to begin with is not ideal for snow traction, when fighting gravity it can be the only choice sometimes.

But none the less, I got a much roomier and comfortable Ram with limited slip and have not had a major snow to deal with yet! LOL!
Yeah, sometimes you just need to spin the tires to get where you need. Had a 2008 Charger V6. My old house the driveway was sloped, and also lived in a hill. Back out of driveway and had to go uphill. With traction control on, with icy road, I could have the pedal pushed to the floor and car wouldn't move. Turn off traction control, tires would spin, but I could at least make it up the hill

rick619

Reaction score

The Rubi also will only let you engage the lockers in 4lo, which is another reason many bypass the oem switch. They just need a simple 12 volt switch to engage.

Users who are viewing this thread