5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Tires 22s with level saga

themust

Reaction score
So I replaced my ‘19 Laramie with a 21 Limited. The new ride is much harsher, less secure, worse mileage, vibrate, etc. Yokohama geolander AT X 12.5 x 35 x 22. I bought the truck with these tires and the level links already on it, though I wasn’t aware of it at the time of purchase from the Ram dealership. The best answer would seem to be to go down close to oem size as there are so few choices for 22s. My driving is 90% on road in mostly dry, occasionally rainy conditions. Occasional trips into the snow. Occasionally lightly off road. Almost never tow anything big. Priority is a smooth, quiet and safe ride. I like the aggressive look of the Yokohamas but the trade offs are too huge. They are literally twice as heavy as the types of tires I’m looking at currently. I like the cooper discoverer AT3 4S in 285 45 22 but am concerned about 4 things: 1) is this the best all around tire for my needs? 2) will a 45 sidewall look too small in the wheel well, especially with the level? 3) will 45s protect the 22 inch wheels (which I love) from rocks on rougher roads and curbs? 4) are there other factors I should be considering? I’ve considered starting over with 20s but the hassle factor of finding and buying and shipping wheels sounds daunting and risky and expensive compared to working with what I got. Any wisdom or experience on any of the above appreciated

Slutzk

Cooling off
Reaction score
1) is this the best all around tire for my needs?
doesnt seem like you do much off roading or gnarly terrain so no not really. tbh id would comfortably say 80% of people who have off roading tires like that dont need them, just looks. You can get something much lighter and simpler.
2) will a 45 sidewall look too small in the wheel well, especially with the level?
very subjective to the person. but IMO for a 285/45r22 especially with a level, yes absolutely its way to small. and im sure most would agree.
3) will 45s protect the 22 inch wheels (which I love) from rocks on rougher roads and curbs?
No.
4) are there other factors I should be considering?
again subjective and up to you. IMO i think you should chuck thoughs 22s and go with 20s atleast (smoother ride with sidewall, less damage to rim, has the little bit of meat for the little off road you do. and with a level slap atleast 33x11.5r20 or 285/55r20 so if doesnt look like your truck skipped leg day.
also when considerng.... with level, do it right and go with a suspension level, dont use spacers (cheap way of doing it and ride qualit will be much less comfortable than a suspension and longvity wise its better). lastly when leveling plus be sure to up grade your UCAs if its not already.

Last edited:

HemiDude

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
What is your tire pressure set at? Many dealers overinflate the tires so that they don't look low to customers who don't know any different. I would suggest plugging your data into one of the tire pressure apps to help you determine your best starting point.

Also, can you tell what was used to level the truck? It's possible that tires/wheels alone won't get you the ride you want, depending on what was done to the truck previously.

Lastly, the Coopers are very good all around tires, though they don't make a very tall tire for the 22s.

themust

Reaction score
Thanks for your very helpful and thoughtful reply! I agree with your conclusion,
What is your tire pressure set at? Many dealers overinflate the tires so that they don't look low to customers who don't know any different. I would suggest plugging your data into one of the tire pressure apps to help you determine your best starting point.

Also, can you tell what was used to level the truck? It's possible that tires/wheels alone won't get you the ride you want, depending on what was done to the truck previously.

Lastly, the Coopers are very good all around tires, though they don't make a very tall tire for the 22s.
Thanks. I have a shop that will help me go through the entire suspension to assess what may be giving problems. Its taken a while to find a shop here in Northern California that really is knowledgeable about all of these details and is willing to spend some time discussing. (California Concepts in Redwood City, btw). I may have to do some experimentation so I really need someone who can do the "heavy lifting" for me. I really love the Limited Night Edition 22s and that's a part of why I love that truck. But as the great Thomas Sowell says: "There are no solutions, only tradeoffs." The attached pics were taken by the local (worthless) Ram dealer who says that these are the only suspension mod they saw back there. (They wanted to charge me to take a freaking pic of the suspension while it was already hoisted.) Link 1.jpg Link 2.jpg

Josh24

Reaction score
Looks like those are Revel Performance Links. They are shorter than your factory links which put more air in the bags. I would guess that has to be what is leading to the rough ride. You are basically driving around in offroad 2 at all times. The solution (if you want to keep the level) and improve the ride quality, is to order a spacer to go on top of the strut. You'll still keep the same ride height but it will take some of the air out and smooth out the ride. Revel performance sells the Day star Spacer as well along with the UCA's.

The other option would be to get some factory links and put 285/45/22 or 305/45/22 tires on. That should give you back the factory ride quality.

DEG

Ram Guru
Reaction score
My limited came with Pirelli Scorpion 285/45/22s and I don't think they look too small but that is subjective.

If you want the best economy and have no real need for AT tires I would avoid them. On my last Ram I replaced by OEM highway tires with the same size Cooper AT3 and they were louder, not as smooth on the highway and cost me 2 mpg in fuel economy. An AT tire will weigh more and have more rolling resistance than the same size highway mud & snow tire.

IMG_3093.jpg

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
So I replaced my ‘19 Laramie with a 21 Limited. The new ride is much harsher, less secure, worse mileage, vibrate, etc. Yokohama geolander AT X 12.5 x 35 x 22. I bought the truck with these tires and the level links already on it, though I wasn’t aware of it at the time of purchase from the Ram dealership. The best answer would seem to be to go down close to oem size as there are so few choices for 22s. My driving is 90% on road in mostly dry, occasionally rainy conditions. Occasional trips into the snow. Occasionally lightly off road. Almost never tow anything big. Priority is a smooth, quiet and safe ride. I like the aggressive look of the Yokohamas but the trade offs are too huge. They are literally twice as heavy as the types of tires I’m looking at currently. I like the cooper discoverer AT3 4S in 285 45 22 but am concerned about 4 things: 1) is this the best all around tire for my needs? 2) will a 45 sidewall look too small in the wheel well, especially with the level? 3) will 45s protect the 22 inch wheels (which I love) from rocks on rougher roads and curbs? 4) are there other factors I should be considering? I’ve considered starting over with 20s but the hassle factor of finding and buying and shipping wheels sounds daunting and risky and expensive compared to working with what I got. Any wisdom or experience on any of the above appreciated

Take the links off and replace the OEM's 1st, I'd bet that's where your harsh ride is comin from

ocwill1

Reaction score
I have the links and replaced pirellis with stock size cooper discoverer at 3 XL's so they are still a 4 ply, not an 8 or 10 ply that roughens the ride. Ride to me is the same

1BADRAMLIMITED

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I run revel links on my limited 19’ front and back to give me a level and it’s a tad bit harsher but I’m sure the biggest issue is the 22” wheels you have

smkt404

Reaction score
I have the links and replaced pirellis with stock size cooper discoverer at 3 XL's so they are still a 4 ply, not an 8 or 10 ply that roughens the ride. Ride to me is the same
Pic?

Pikeman_66

Reaction score
Looks like those are Revel Performance Links. They are shorter than your factory links which put more air in the bags. I would guess that has to be what is leading to the rough ride. You are basically driving around in offroad 2 at all times. The solution (if you want to keep the level) and improve the ride quality, is to order a spacer to go on top of the strut. You'll still keep the same ride height but it will take some of the air out and smooth out the ride. Revel performance sells the Day star Spacer as well along with the UCA's.

The other option would be to get some factory links and put 285/45/22 or 305/45/22 tires on. That should give you back the factory ride quality.
Additionally, I have read that the revel links will work fine and retain original ride quality and suspension function if you pair them with the daystar strut spacers. I wonder if you need the spacers as well to get what you’re looking for in the truck.

Users who are viewing this thread