5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

BFG KO2 vs Falken AT3W

Pkro2001

Reaction score
2024 Ram 2500 Laramie 6.7 Cummins. Trying to decide between KO2 and AT3W. What is the best tire for all around purpose? Will be towing, off-road, and daily use. I live in New England so snow is also a factor. I will be on stock suspension and stock 20x8 rims. Any guidance is greatly appreciated. TIA.

- Pat

boogielander

Ram Guru
Reaction score
both are great tires.
AT3W just got updated to AT4W, so if you decide to go with Falkens, go with AT4W so when you need to swap 1 for whatever reasons, you don't need to buy a new set.
There is also KO3, but they are not available on the market yet. Only found on select OE trucks like Ranger Raptor.

As a guy who does mounting and balancing as part of his job, I like AT3W because they are always easier to balance. So that's why I went with AT3W.
I have AT3W on my previous rig and put about 10k miles of abuse on them in all kinds of scenarios short of towing (pavement, off pavement, gravel, crawling, high speed desert run, snow offroading) and it was great. Not once did I feel like I was losing traction. 10k miles of abuse later the treads still look like new lol
So I went with AT3W again on this truck and put down 10k miles of abuse already (short of towing and snow). So far so good.

2021EcoDiesel

Reaction score
I have had the AT3W's on my truck now for 2.5 years and almost 60k miles. I'm very happy with their ride quality, noise level, and as well as their traction. Mud, gravel, rain, and snow, these have seen it all and impressed me quite a bit. Most of those 60k miles are highway but the tread is holding up exceptionally well, they still have 13/32 depth remaining from the factory 18/32. I can't speak for the KO2's as I've never owned them. But there's my .02 cents on the Falkens.

stevieb92

Reaction score
I've had BFG KO2s on several trucks (and most recently my 2020 Jeep Rubicon) through the years and always have been super happy with their performance. On road and off road they've been very good performers. Quiet on the highway and very good snow performance as well. I've never owned the AT3Ws, but I know lots of people like them. The KO2s can last if you rotate them and balance them every 4-5k miles. I don't think you can go wrong with either choice. Just a thought, but maybe compare the weight of each at the size you're looking for and go with the lighter option (if it's a significant difference) for less un-sprung mass. I've done that for my planned upgrade and will be putting the KO2 on my Rebel.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
I've never been a fan of BF, but ran the AT3W and they were great. As mentioned, look at the new AT4W out.

Pkro2001

Reaction score
From what I’ve read it appears the Falken AT3W had a pretty good reputation. I am leaning towards the AT4W as they appear to be better than the KO2. Only issue is I’m looking for a 295/65/20 tire with a 3 ply sidewall. The AT4W’s do not come in this size with a 3 ply sidewall. BFG does however offer it with their KO2. I may wait till they offer more sizes with the KO3’s. Biggest issue with the AT4W’s in that size is that they are 15 pounds heavier per tire than the Firestone transforce 285/60/20 tires that come stock on the truck. That additional 60 pounds would definitely take a toll on my fuel economy. With my truck being a 2500 diesel, I’m looking for something that is going to be the best all around application for towing, snow, rain, and noise. I’ve heard of complaints with the KO2’s on 3/4 ton trucks, however I have them on a 1500 Silverado and love them. Definitely going to be a more difficult decision than I originally thought.

Pkro2001

Reaction score
I have had the AT3W's on my truck now for 2.5 years and almost 60k miles. I'm very happy with their ride quality, noise level, and as well as their traction. Mud, gravel, rain, and snow, these have seen it all and impressed me quite a bit. Most of those 60k miles are highway but the tread is holding up exceptionally well, they still have 13/32 depth remaining from the factory 18/32. I can't speak for the KO2's as I've never owned them. But there's my .02 cents on the Falkens.
I’m assuming you are running these on a 1500?

Dewey

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
I had KO2’s on my last truck and they were great the first 10,000 miles but sucked in rain and snow beyond that. I won’t buy them again.

My current truck had AT3W’s from the factory and performed great till 40,000 miles when I replaced with new AT3W’s. Those tires are even better than the Falken’s the factory installed. Much more aggressive tread pattern and deeper tread depth. Been incredible in snow so far.

IMG_0886.jpeg

Not sure about the new AT4’s that replaced the AT3’s. Hopefully they’re just as good.

Last edited:

SpeedyV

Ram Connoisseur
Staff member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
I had KO2’s on my last truck and they were great the first 10,000 miles but sucked in rain and snow beyond that. I won’t buy them again.

My current truck had AT3W’s from the factory and performed great till 40,000 miles when I replaced with new AT3W’s. Those tires are even better than the Falken’s the factory installed. Much more aggressive tread pattern and deeper tread depth. Been incredible in snow so far.

Not sure about the new AT4’s that replaced the AT3’s. Hopefully they’re just as good.
I was just wondering if they’ll release an “AT4Wa” for the OEM Off-Road Group, like they did with the 3-series. I’m still running my AT3Wa tires at almost 50k, and they’re about 10lb lighter per tire than the regular AT3s.

Hackmunch

Reaction score
Ko2 ftw. 82k miles on mine and still going. wont buy any other tire.

Users who are viewing this thread