5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Cracked exhaust manifold

audoram

Reaction score
Hello. So this is my first official post other than my introduction. I bought my 21' ram 1500 a couple months ago and I absolutely love the truck. Unfortunately it has the some what common cracked right side exhaust manifold. When I test drove the truck they brought it up front and I never noticed because the tick goes away pretty quickly. I bought the truck but went back the next day to pick it up and heard it on cold start and it got my attention but not too concerned. After driving it a few weeks it sounded more like an exhaust leak so today I looked around and saw nothing obvious. So I started research on this forum which led me to look behind the heat shield and sure enough it's cracked. (bummer). Anyways From searching here can any one confirm if this is covered under power train warranty? It seems like it is but I haven't spoke withe the ram dealer yet. I purchased it from a Land Rover dealership so they may or may not have known, not that it would have mattered. I'll fix it my self if need be but problem is the part seems to be back ordered. So I'm also reaching out here for suggestions on after market shorty headers or exhaust manifolds that would bolt up to stock exhaust or maybe a member has a take off they'd be willing to part with. Enjoying the forum and thanks for any feedback.

Mike

CRAIG4FSU

Reaction score
I’d absolutely persue the warranty route first before having to pull all that crap off your truck and reinstall yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Take it in, get the parts on order and get it fixed at no cost. I would pressure them to replace both sides, the tech doesn't mind, they pay great under warranty. I now order both sides, been burned twice now with 1 side leaking order parts and by the time they fome in the other side is leaking.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
It's covered under the powertrain warranty as long as the truck hasn't exceeded 60K miles

audoram

Reaction score
I’d absolutely persue the warranty route first before having to pull all that crap off your truck and reinstall yourself.

Best of luck to you.

Take it in, get the parts on order and get it fixed at no cost. I would pressure them to replace both sides, the tech doesn't mind, they pay great under warranty. I now order both sides, been burned twice now with 1 side leaking order parts and by the time they fome in the other side is leaking.

It's covered under the powertrain warranty as long as the truck hasn't exceeded 60K miles
Thanks guys, Yeah, I will do the warranty route for sure, 41k on truck and around two years left on power train warranty.

BowDown

Spends too much time on here
Reaction score
Thanks guys, Yeah, I will do the warranty route for sure, 41k on truck and around two years left on power train warranty.

Call around to different dealers and see who has the parts in stock, 2 part numbers (68591573AB & 68591572AB). I found a dealer near me that had 7 sets of both and went there. Was in and out in 2 days (had the AC TSB done as well).

19RAMhorn

Reaction score
Call around to different dealers and see who has the parts in stock, 2 part numbers (68591573AB & 68591572AB). I found a dealer near me that had 7 sets of both and went there. Was in and out in 2 days (had the AC TSB done as well).
This! Took me 4.5 months to get mine in. I don’t consider a big deal, so I wasn’t stressing. If not for warranty, would’ve been $800 which seems stupid for something so damn common.

audoram

Reaction score
I'll check my local dealer , next one is over 100 miles away. So I may get lucky? I'll call around next week. I'll check on any other recalls etc. as well. Thanks!
This! Took me 4.5 months to get mine in. I don’t consider a big deal, so I wasn’t stressing. If not for warranty, would’ve been $800 which seems stupid for something so damn common.
Yeah, I'd just do it my self if not for the warranty. And then probably break off a stud and regret it. LOL. SLC UT is about 180 miles away and they have lots of Ram dealers so if I have to I'll take it there, better than waiting for months. Thanks!

audoram

Reaction score
The Online parts store @ BowDown sent me shows them both in stock. If my local dealer doesn't have one I'll see if I can get the part for them but I tried that once for a back ordered fuel pump for my Challenger and they said no because it wasn't on their supplier list, and would cost them more.

theblet

Legendary member
Reaction score
are these part numbers the newest revision?

E.Hands

Reaction score
I got the complete kit (Exh mani, gasket, 2-heat shields, 10-bolts, 6-nuts, and 2-reinforcement bars) Part number: 68591572AB for the passenger's side.
Purchased online from WaldorfDodge for $86, instead of paying $150 from the local stealership. Saved $64 on parts alone!
Installed at home in approx. 3 hours and saved $500 in labor.
It went much better than I pessimistically feared. Lol! Luck, patients and finesse resulted in no broken bolts.
Never even opened the hood. Removed the RF wheel and inner fender liner an had enough room.

Truck no longer sounds like a diesel tractor on cold starts! (y)

Exhaust Manifold.jpg

Exhaust Manifold Crack.jpg

New Manifold 1.jpg
New Manifold 2.jpg

Last edited:

E.Hands

Reaction score
They gave you free shipping, that is amazing.
No, I stand corrected.
I did pay shipping.
But here is my quote from the local dealership:

And here's is the one from my online purchase,
So I saved $2,436.19 by doing it myself and not bringing it to the Dealer.

Attachments

• Dealership.pdf
    124.4 KB · Views: 13
  • Online Sales.pdf
    77.8 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Cbty2050

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Congratulations and I appluad you for having the free time and the ability save yourself some cash. I assumed your time is free.

I have zero issues with dealerships/repair facilities charging for what they charge. The online dealer made 10% or less on a part.

E.Hands

Reaction score
Congratulations and I appluad you for having the free time and the ability save yourself some cash. I assumed your time is free.

I have zero issues with dealerships/repair facilities charging for what they charge. The online dealer made 10% or less on a part.
Everything is a give or take, depending on your perspective. To me , my time is free. Time don't cost me a dime. In fact, at the time I was getting paid.
But another way I could look at it is I paid almost $50 (fitty) bucks for shipping and it showed up like this. When it was handed to me nuts were falling from the torn packaging. Lol! Packaging.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread