5thGenRams Forums

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Diagnose This Tire Wear Issue

FLATLINER

Reaction score
New to me 2020 1500 Limited. Goodyear Eagle Touring inflated to 40psi all around.

Right front tire exhibits excessive outside wear. Left front tire wearing normally. Tires relatively new prob 10k miles or so.

Pics of left and right fronts for comparison purposes.

Thanks!

Attachments

• IMG_4746.jpeg
    IMG_4746.jpeg
    186.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4742.jpeg
    IMG_4742.jpeg
    239.5 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_4741.jpeg
    IMG_4741.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_4744.jpeg
    IMG_4744.jpeg
    174.7 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_4743.jpeg
    IMG_4743.jpeg
    161.1 KB · Views: 40

smashweights

Reaction score
My 2019 Limited had this EXACT wear pattern on the front passenger tire! It seemed to stay in that position with tire rotation. Check the alignment but I ended up replacing the tires and I'm not sure if it's fixed...

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Is the wear uneven all the way around? Or only In a section?

river rat

Reaction score
On my 2020 limited, both front tires have worn out faster on the outer edge, almost like there is slightly too much negative camber. When I get new tires, I plan to get the alignment checked.

HSKR R/T

locally hated
Site Supporter
Reaction score
New to me 2020 1500 Limited. Goodyear Eagle Touring inflated to 40psi all around.

Right front tire exhibits excessive outside wear. Left front tire wearing normally. Tires relatively new prob 10k miles or so.

Pics of left and right fronts for comparison purposes.

Thanks!
Unless you are making a lot of left hand turns, it's probably an alignment issue. Get it checked. And no, it's not a warranty thing

Ready Go

Reaction score
Wearing on the outside edge of the tire is most likely from a POSITIVE camber alignment issue. (Negative camber will wear the Inside edge, not outside)

This could just be poor alignment or an issue with a suspension component causing poor alignment.

Another possibility is if that position has too much toe-in which is causing the outside edge to scrub.

Check your tire pressures also..if that tire is quite low, it'll magnify any alignment issues causing that outside wear.

I can't tell if the outside edge is evenly worn or cupped..if cupped, you have a bad strut possibly also.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Since you have limited with air, check your fender heights. I'd be curious if the worn side sits higher and if it's significantly different.

FLATLINER

Reaction score
Great point Cheyenne. So, I have been reading around and this appears to be a documented issue with the Limited trim, probably associated with the air ride. I’ll take it to a good alignment shop and have it checked out.

It’s not an air pressure/driver issue. There’s obviously something mechanically wrong with the alignment, either excessive positive camber, or excessive positive toe (toe in).

Someone has hopefully figured this out and gotten alignment settings that fix this issue. It’s crazy that so many people have noted this issue but there is little to no data on effective alignment settings. I’ve read tons of posts just chalking it up to “it’s a truck”, or “crap tires” (they are, but that doesn’t explain the wear issue), or “tires are consumables”, etc… I’ve been driving trucks with off road tires for 20 years and NEVER seen anything like this.

If anyone has an alignment settings print out, it would be awesome to see what others have done, to hopefully fix whatever crap factory alignment settings this truck came with.

Thanks for reading!

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Great point Cheyenne. So, I have been reading around and this appears to be a documented issue with the Limited trim, probably associated with the air ride. I’ll take it to a good alignment shop and have it checked out.

It’s not an air pressure/driver issue. There’s obviously something mechanically wrong with the alignment, either excessive positive camber, or excessive positive toe (toe in).

Someone has hopefully figured this out and gotten alignment settings that fix this issue. It’s crazy that so many people have noted this issue but there is little to no data on effective alignment settings. I’ve read tons of posts just chalking it up to “it’s a truck”, or “crap tires” (they are, but that doesn’t explain the wear issue), or “tires are consumables”, etc… I’ve been driving trucks with off road tires for 20 years and NEVER seen anything like this.

If anyone has an alignment settings print out, it would be awesome to see what others have done, to hopefully fix whatever crap factory alignment settings this truck came with.

Thanks for reading!
The issue with air suspension is the lowering while doing over whatever the speed limit setting is, which will throw the alignment off, especially if people do more highway driving than in-town driving. Mopar sets the alignment at a certain point for most average driving being in-town if I had to guess.

smashweights

Reaction score
The issue with air suspension is the lowering while doing over whatever the speed limit setting is, which will throw the alignment off, especially if people do more highway driving than in-town driving. Mopar sets the alignment at a certain point for most average driving being in-town if I had to guess.
If that were the cause, wouldn't that impact both front tires if not all 4 tires since the entire truck drops?

GMetal

Reaction score
An alignment shop could set it up properly. They can give you a before and after print out. The alignment machine should have the specs in the software.

smashweights

Reaction score
This is apparently a VERY common problem on these trucks and I don't see a solution identified...

Even my new Continental TerrainContact H/T Xtra Loads are showing excessive wear on the outer edges...

Anyone know if the stock tires or these Contis can be flipped on the wheel so you can wear the other edge for extending the life?

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
Wearing on the outside edge of the tire is most likely from a POSITIVE camber alignment issue. (Negative camber will wear the Inside edge, not outside)

This could just be poor alignment or an issue with a suspension component causing poor alignment.

Another possibility is if that position has too much toe-in which is causing the outside edge to scrub.

Check your tire pressures also..if that tire is quite low, it'll magnify any alignment issues causing that outside wear.

I can't tell if the outside edge is evenly worn or cupped..if cupped, you have a bad strut possibly also.
If it were under or overinflated, it would cause premature wear on both sides or down the middle, respectfully. Since it's just on one side, the entire way around, id lean towards alignment potentially....but it's weird it's only on one side.

Ready Go

Reaction score
If it were under or overinflated, it would cause premature wear on both sides or down the middle, respectfully. Since it's just on one side, the entire way around, id lean towards alignment potentially....but it's weird it's only on one side.
I had stated that the tire pressure being low would "magnify any alignment issues"..so if Toe-In or Positive Camber were present, low tire psi would make that outside tire edge wear even worse...low psi on it's own wouldn't be the only problem here.

smashweights

Reaction score
Its wild though, just Google ”tire edge wear ram 1500” and you'll see threads on a bunch of forums with isolated front passenger outer edge wear just like this. Every thread is "oh it's just your alignment." If it's alignment why are so many trucks just having alignment issues with one wheel? I had the issue and I had tires rotated, balance, and aligned twice without improvement. Even my new tires are showing outer edge wear so it's not the tires either.

CHeYeNNe71

Ram Guru
Reaction score
Its wild though, just Google ”tire edge wear ram 1500” and you'll see threads on a bunch of forums with isolated front passenger outer edge wear just like this. Every thread is "oh it's just your alignment." If it's alignment why are so many trucks just having alignment issues with one wheel? I had the issue and I had tires rotated, balance, and aligned twice without improvement. Even my new tires are showing outer edge wear so it's not the tires either.
All Lmited or RAMs with air suspension? I wonder if the link on that side is off from factory then.

Mitchrob85

Reaction score
So what do you think it is if it's not improper inflation or an alignment issue? It's only happening on one side, around the entire side of the tire....so it's not a tire defect. That would lead me to assume it's a suspension related component...

smashweights

Reaction score
So what do you think it is if it's not improper inflation or an alignment issue? It's only happening on one side, around the entire side of the tire....so it's not a tire defect. That would lead me to assume it's a suspension related component...
I know nothing about vehicle mechanics but the fact it's consistently the same spot and folks with the issue consistently report their alignment is fine seems odd.

Users who are viewing this thread